Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Did a search couldnt find what i was looking for...

So I'm thinking about doing the "slip to ship" race at the OSYC, but I've never been on anything but the local lake for sailing. First off, what do I need to have to legally sail the boat in the gulf, life persevers, etc. Second, what would you suggest taking with me that is not required, but helpful. And any members from OSYC, does the club require anything specific I should know about?

I just want to make sure I am well informed before doing something that could get myself or crew into trouble.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is a very good sign that one of your first considerations is for safety!

It's my understanding that the legal requirements are the same as on your local lake. Type III or better PFD for each person on board. Further, since an H-16 is technically over 16' LOA, you are additionally supposed to carry a throwable (Type IV), but I've never seen anyone do so. If it gets dark on you (don't let it get dark on you), for less than ~21' LOA, you are supposed to carry a light that you can shine (on the sail) in order to avoid a collision.

I sent you a PM with a dissertation that I share with my club members each year about this time as some of them are planning to do S2S for their first time and have only lake-sailed. It gives quite a bit of info on what to expect, carry, etc.

I don't think the OSYC has ever required anything "extra," but you will likely hear suggestions from their folks similar to those in my PM to you. It is not common for their to be "extra" requirements from the OA, since it is each skipper's responsibility to prepare and choose to race or not given their abilities, the given conditions, etc.

Even if you get there and conditions are such that you aren't comfortable skippering your boat all the way to Ship on Saturday (I've made that call in the past), you can have a great time sailing in the bay (closer to the beach/club), or maybe teaming up with more experienced people, or even riding on one of the support (power) boats. And in the Sun. race around Deer Is., you're never really too far from shore.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Anytime you're doing coastal sailing, its a good idea to carry a compass, vhf radio, extra drinking water, extra warm gear, paddle and a whistle. A gps and cell phone are also nice to have and if you're venturing far offshore, EPIRBs for each crew. Spare parts, line, and tools including a knife should also be carried.

sm

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

He is correct on the requirements. I grew up racing out of OSYC. Was even an out of town memeber there for a few years. You should go. I will be a great time. I started racing on the Atlantic coast and lakes, until we moved to MS. I had a lot of fun racing in Ocean Springs. When I get a TI, I will return to OSYC. Since hurrican Katrina, they have completely rebuilt the club and it is very nice. I miss camping and sailing at OSYC! :D :D

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jerome, how was it?

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

AntonLargiader wrote:
Jerome, how was it?

Mid 80's, 10-15 mph, beautiful skies, great food and friends......can't beat it! We plan to go back for the Horn Island Hop July 6 & &:

http://www.osyc.com/