Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thought I'd introduce myself and boat,since I know forums are an invaluable resource when owning just about anything worth a damn. After previously owning an H18 a few years ago that was de-masted and blown away in a bad storm (long story, floating dock, sold for parts), we've been on the hunt for a new one. My buddy and I just got a great deal on a light blue '84 H18 with Magnum wings two weeks ago, and are pretty pumped! It's a two-owner, freshwater boat that is completely original from what I can tell. I drove two + hours to PA where a guy had been sailing it on a lake and drove away with it for $1200, trailer lights worked and everything :D ! The sails were repaired recently here in Annapolis, and the hulls have no soft spots or cracks from what I can tell. Rudders are good, but daggers have a few chips. We're probably going to replace a few shrouds, the jib sheets and maybe the porthole covers before rigging it up for a sail this weekend. I read many of the other posts in here about what to know before you go, but if anyone has any words of advice or just wants to drop a line - please do. Look forward to gaining a lot of useful info on this site!

H18 Magnum
Contour 30MKII Trimaran

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Picture might help. Anyone know what sort of pin I am supposed to secure the wings in the down position with?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

H18 Magnum
Contour 30MKII Trimaran

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jds0912 wrote:
I read many of the other posts in here about what to know before you go, but if anyone has any words of advice or just wants to drop a line - please do. Look forward to gaining a lot of useful info on this site!

Two suggestions before a first time sail on a Hobie 18 - make sure you understand how the main halyard hook system works before attempting to raise the sail and make sure the rudder system is working properly, especially if you have the old style castings. Otherwise, enjoy!

Also gotta give a shameless plug- you should consider attending some of the division 11 regattas. There are several in the maryland/chesapeake area as well as delaware and new jersey. Its a good group and you'll learn a lot.

sm

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

srm wrote:
jds0912 wrote:
I read many of the other posts in here about what to know before you go, but if anyone has any words of advice or just wants to drop a line - please do. Look forward to gaining a lot of useful info on this site!

Two suggestions before a first time sail on a Hobie 18 - make sure you understand how the main halyard hook system works before attempting to raise the sail and make sure the rudder system is working properly, especially if you have the old style castings. Otherwise, enjoy!

Also gotta give a shameless plug- you should consider attending some of the division 11 regattas. There are several in the maryland/chesapeake area as well as delaware and new jersey. Its a good group and you'll learn a lot.

sm

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, that halyard hook system was a PITA on our last cat. It appears the rudder system is working well, just gotta straighten out one of the long pins in a vice bc it's a little bent. I'll check out division 11; as of now I've only raced monohull one-design, but I'm up for anything.

H18 Magnum
Contour 30MKII Trimaran

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you've got a bent rudder pin, most likely it is an aluminum pin. I would recommend you get a set of stainless steel pins. Plain and simple, they don't bend, they don't break. You will buy them once and they will most likely last the life of the boat. Aluminum pins will bend or break leaving you with a mess on the water.

Regarding Div 11, there are about four or five active racers (i.e., attend 90% of the regattas) and may get up to eight or ten 18 sailors as a real good turnout. The next four regattas (through mid September) are in New Jersey, so maybe not worth making the trip for you at this point. I would definitely recommend you consider the Rock Hall regatta at the end of September (Rock Hall Yacht Club). Great venue, usually a good turnout, and should be pretty close to your area. Any questions, feel free to send me a PM.

sm

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Had the day off to finally raise the mast for the first time and check everything out. Some things were ghetto rigged so I had to buy some new shackles shock cords and pins, but other than that I think she's ready to go. I am ordering some anchor plates for under the wings, getting new lines, shrouds, halyards, screw in caps and a couple harnesses then I hope to be good for the summer. Motor boating tomorrow, but hope to be flying hulls on Sunday, forecast is 10-15. Very excited. Image

H18 Magnum
Contour 30MKII Trimaran

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The PO of my '89 18 with magnum wings changed out the pins holding down the wings for the ball lock style. I wouldn't recommend this as the alignment between the wing struts and the strut tab usually isn't that good. I always have at least one that has popped up when I bring it back in. So, I happen to have recently looked up the correct parts for these. The pin you want is 1/4" x 1.328 (8020431) You can use the standard key ring type lock (20860000) or if you want to trade a little risk that the pokey end might snag a line for some convenience get the safety pin style (20503.)

-Rowdy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey Justin,

Welcome to the H-18 family! I live just a few miles away in Bowie. I am also an active racer in Division 11. Let me know if you have any questions.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mr_Rowdy wrote:
The PO of my '89 18 with magnum wings changed out the pins holding down the wings for the ball lock style. I wouldn't recommend this as the alignment between the wing struts and the strut tab usually isn't that good. I always have at least one that has popped up when I bring it back in. So, I happen to have recently looked up the correct parts for these. The pin you want is 1/4" x 1.328 (8020431) You can use the standard key ring type lock (20860000) or if you want to trade a little risk that the pokey end might snag a line for some convenience get the safety pin style (20503.)

-Rowdy

Thanks, I picked up some pins that worked fine (though I already lost one somewhere!).

H18 Magnum
Contour 30MKII Trimaran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

jim-doty wrote:
Hey Justin,

Welcome to the H-18 family! I live just a few miles away in Bowie. I am also an active racer in Division 11. Let me know if you have any questions.

Jim

Thanks. Lmk if you're sailing in the area, I'd love to sail with another 18. Here's us on our first tack on the boat. Was blowing stink all weekend, but unfortunately by the time we got out there the wind was dying and the storms were rolling in. Story of my life. Still glad to get it in the water. Image

H18 Magnum
Contour 30MKII Trimaran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have been using 1/4X20 stainless bolts on my wings since new in 1989. Bolts make the wings tighter and take out the slop. Jim.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi

I'm also a Div 11 member ... and have a H18Mag that I keep at Rock Hall on the Chester River.

Bolt down the wings ... much better

Get SS Rudder Pins ... and use the nylock bushings!!!! Place a SS Washer on top of top rudder gudgeon/under rudder casting ... prevents SS rudder gudgeon from wearing into cast Aluminum rudder casting.

Many other tricks you can learn from Jim ... Steve ... Keith and the other Div11 h-18 sailors ... some will be at Rock Hall Yacht Club for a weekend of racing on June 14-16 ... starts w/ 'Down the River' Race on Friday from Chestertown CC&YC to Rock Hall YC ... then buoys racing at RHYC all weekend ... camping on-site/bar/clubhouse ... nice area to sail/race on ...

Hope to see ya ...

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Harry Murphey wrote:
Hi

I'm also a Div 11 member ... and have a H18Mag that I keep at Rock Hall on the Chester River.

Bolt down the wings ... much better

Get SS Rudder Pins ... and use the nylock bushings!!!! Place a SS Washer on top of top rudder gudgeon/under rudder casting ... prevents SS rudder gudgeon from wearing into cast Aluminum rudder casting.

Many other tricks you can learn from Jim ... Steve ... Keith and the other Div11 h-18 sailors ... some will be at Rock Hall Yacht Club for a weekend of racing on June 14-16 ... starts w/ 'Down the River' Race on Friday from Chestertown CC&YC to Rock Hall YC ... then buoys racing at RHYC all weekend ... camping on-site/bar/clubhouse ... nice area to sail/race on ...

Hope to see ya ...

Sounds awesome. I have family stuff to do this weekend, but hope to make it out to a div11 event soon. If you're sailing tomorrow it looks like it will be howling! Have fun.

H18 Magnum
Contour 30MKII Trimaran