Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Hobie Convert
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks man, It must be a blast having one of these in Maui. My wife and I went on our honeymoon there in 2005. We rented a jeep and spent 2 weeks roaming the island. Special place! I really, really miss those waves.

We just got back from Pensacola today. I took my two daughters (3,5) on the TI for the first time and they loved it. I'm hoping to take a road trip with the TI and fam south this summer all the way to the Keys and catch their mini lobster season. I just love this thing. I have wondered about cracks due to its portability and naturally it's going to get knocked around a little. I'm going to pickup that kayak pump just in case.

I was also thinking about picking up a backup mirage drive but think I may go with that hardware you mentioned instead. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ShakaGeoff wrote:
A multitool with good pliers I keep on a leash on my PFD for dealing with broken rudder pins, etc. also. I think a previous poster mentioned things that I also carry - rope, etc. Have fun out there!
If you find one that doesn't rust out after a couple trips, let me know. Till then, I don't pack the "good" pliers/tools unless they are kept in a quick access drypak. :cry:

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I carry a spare Mirage drive on my AI's, but my TI already has a second drive and the space to store a spare is more of a premium on the TI.

I have a good stainless pliers mounted on my PFD as well as a titanium knife, both have proven useful and low maintenance. All other tools and parts are either in the rear hatch deep gear bucket sealed, or in my ditch bag. Steel tools do rust quickly. I found I had to rinse and oil all of them each time I opened my sealed plastic "tool box", so more stainless ones are being procured and kept in the rear hatch bucket with most of the rudder pins.

A Kayak pump is at the top of my recommended tool list for any kayak.

Maui is a great place to sail, and even more fun sailing with others like Geoff! :)