It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Any tips!?!? :twisted: http://eycmultihulls.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

1. Have fun.
2. Don't be shy asking for help and tips. Get to know the people in your class by asking them for rigging tips.
3. Study right of way rules.
4. Know how to stop and start your boat
5. Bring water on board
6. Wear a digital watch with a timer function, then set the timer to the starting sequence.
7. Have fun.
8. Enjoy yourself.
9. Try to do better than my first race in which I got only letters, no numbers, next to my name. At least I got three different kinds of letters - DNS, DNF, DSQ
10. Think positively - you can only get better.
11. Have fun.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another three letter finish to avoid is DFL.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I did my first race last fall and I completely understand! Here's what I didn't know...

It's tricky to understand how the whole thing works if you've never done it before. If regatta racing is completely new to you it is VERY helpful to watch a couple of races from the committee boat or crew with someone that knows the ropes before you jump in. I my case I dove right in, and got really confused, and figured it all out after a DNF or two. :D While that's a quick way to learn, my biggest concern was not interfering with the experienced folks. On my first race I basically sailed around the course but stayed behind and outside all the other boats to watch how it was done and not interfere. That can be difficult to do in a multi-class regatta with lots of boats on the water and staggered starts.

In addition to the good advice in the post above, I'd add a couple of other things...

Tell the RC you are a first timer and ask them to explain how the Starting Sequence, Signal Flags, and Course numbers will work. It can be very hard to understand if you are trying to figure it out on the water and it's easy to miss a course change. (For example: I DNF'ed a race because i didn't realize they added an additional leg to the course on the last race of the day.) It's also not a bad idea to debrief with the RC after the race. They will point out things you did wrong that you probably never realized. (Like getting disqualified for crossing the start line in the middle of the race)

Get one of these: Learn it, and put it on your boat - Best $4.50 investment you will make. - http://www.hcana.hobieclass.com/default.asp?Page=9276

Play this game: http://game.finckh.net/indexe.htm until you have mastered the "basic" level

It's a little daunting the first time out but it also REALLY fun. Focus on learning the ropes, mastering technique, and staying in the race. Don't worry about where you finish.

...and it wouldn't hurt to practice. Go tack/jibe your boat about a million times before you get there. Your ability to stop, start, stand still, and tack quickly will keep you in the race. Practice sailing up wind efficiently. Not something recreational Hobie sailors don't do much of. This is where the old guys will blow past you on the course. :shock:

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom King wrote:
Another three letter finish to avoid is DFL.

:lol:

I have a basic knowledge of the racing rules (having played VSK5 a bunch)
Still plan on hanging back at 1st though!
Im going into this knowing I will either love it, or hate it. Not worried about DNF, DNS, etc :twisted: At least until my buddy gets ahead of me then its on!
Thanks for the tips all!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hanging back is the last thing you want to do in a race. There is little to no catching up. It's all about not losing ground, not about making it up.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ya maybe so...1st time though not to worried about finishing well. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Let us know how it went...

Have a Hobie Day!

Sent from Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I shall do that! Pretty dang excited!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well we finished 4th. Not bad for a couple rookies on a 33 year old boat/sails.
3 races on Saturday and 3 on Sunday wore us out!!! We got 3rd place in the first 2 races!
Than we got lost and ran an extra leg the last race on Saturday, and flipped twice on Sunday :lol:
I'd do it again for sure. And I would suggest that anyone even if your boat is old and ratty go try a race.
Pretty cool hitting the starting line with a bunch of 16's all packed together tight!
Ya I rocked the cooler rack.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Awesome....thanks for following up!

hobiesrock wrote:
And I would suggest that anyone even if your boat is old and ratty go try a race.

I agree, and if it was all about winning, I would have quit a long time ago! Crewed my first regatta in '96. We came in fourth (of 6 probably!) in B Fleet and got a little certificate printed off the computer in a dollar store frame. I thought "Hell, if we suck this bad and still get a trophy, we might have a shot at getting good with some practice!". It was a great time camping, hanging with other sailors, the food, the drink, door prizes, etc.....the whole regatta experience is a lot more than racing. I never looked back and still race as much as I can. Raced in good weather and bad, hot and cold, windy and drifter, distance and buoys, with daughter/son/wife/friend/solo, Portsmouth and one-design, came in first/last/all between, serious and fun races, etc. Had a good time at every single one of the regattas and now have sailing friends located all over the country!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rattle 'n hum wrote:

hobiesrock wrote:
And I would suggest that anyone even if your boat is old and ratty go try a race.

I agree, and if it was all about winning, I would have quit a long time ago! Crewed my first regatta in '96. We came in fourth (of 6 probably!) in B Fleet and got a little certificate printed off the computer in a dollar store frame. I thought "Hell, if we suck this bad and still get a trophy, we might have a shot at getting good with some practice!". It was a great time camping, hanging with other sailors, the food, the drink, door prizes, etc.....the whole regatta experience is a lot more than racing. I never looked back and still race as much as I can. Raced in good weather and bad, hot and cold, windy and drifter, distance and buoys, with daughter/son/wife/friend/solo, Portsmouth and one-design, came in first/last/all between, serious and fun races, etc. Had a good time at every single one of the regattas and now have sailing friends located all over the country!

What he ^^^ said.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Skipshot wrote:
rattle 'n hum wrote:

hobiesrock wrote:

What he ^^^ said.

Yep!

I have no idea why I was so hesitant to try out the "R' word.

It adds another depth to a very fun boat on the water, and I have really made some great friends along the way!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great job! If you thought you had the Hobie Bug before, now your really bitten!

Have a Hobie Day!

Sent from Tapatalk