Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm getting ready to buy a Hobie Wave. I'm an experienced sailor but I love the simplicity of the Wave for my kids. (I rented a Wave with the kids and they love having the space to lie down and the stability to stand up and step off into the water.) However, I'd like some sailing excitement for myself too.

How does the Spinnaker package that Hobie sells work out? I've seen very little about it in any of the forums.

I've also read that the jib is too small to be worth the cost and effort. Is that what other people have found?

Post subject: Wave Jib
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The addition of the Jib to the Wave also introduces two sharp cleats on the tramp which could cause injury. One of the things that I love about the Wave is that there are no sharp parts in the tramp area so you can relax and have fun!

Post subject: Wave Spinnie
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When I got my Wave in 98, I ordered the jib and the spinnaker. The jib really is not worth getting, as the sail area is so small. I use the extra jam cleats to secure the Cat Track wheels when I roll it up and down our rocky beach.
The spinnaker is different. It really is more of a gennaker, rather than an asymetrical. The sailing angles it can be used with are somewhat limited to about 100-150 degrees. However, when going downwind it doubles your sail area, and makes the boat scream. I have used my handheld GPS as a log, and regularly can sail at 12 kts. with winds over 18kts., and the water pretty flat. That feels pretty exciting on that boat.
To rig the spinnie you will need to install or have installed a halyard block on the mast. My dealer used SS rivets, and the instructions for placement were quite clear. Bow sprit, and hoisting lines are a bit complex; but that is a small price for the smile on my face.

Post subject: how to get a spinnaker?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am writing you from Uruguay, South America, We are happy owners of a Wave we imported from USA, to enjoy with my boys,I am wondering to put a spinnaker on it, Please I need your help to find a set of spinnaker at a competitive price. Any ideas?
thanks
antonio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Take a look at http://store.catsailor.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&grp=267 . Rick has done a lot of development work on the Wave and has some pretty cool stuff. It'll make your Wave fast enough to go from Montevideo to Buenos Aires and back in a day.

Post subject: what about....
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

if you have kids...the getaway might be a better idea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Having sailed Waves, Getaways, Sunfish ... they are all great but miss filling that need for speed criteria.

Hobie 16 floats my family of 4 for fun and still smokes a Wave or Getaway.

Lighten the load and then it really goes. I love to solo it and that WILL keep you busy.

I was a little dissapointed in the Getaway's performance but it is great for taking a lot of kids out on the water!

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The jib kit is really intended for light wind conditions. The design of the kit means there is low luff tension in the sail. So higher winds cause the sail to lose shape and affectiveness.

The Spin kit adds good fun and I would definitely recommend it over the jib kit.

Something else to consider is adding a traveler kit for the mainsheet. It will vastly improve performance in beam and broad reaching.

Brian C.

Post subject: Get a Hooter System
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you REALLY want to make the Wave fly get a Hooter system for Rick. He has KILLED big boats with this system.

http://store.catsailor.com/tek9.asp?pg= ... jmnrkomnk0

Doug