Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is this a good thing ?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

... for me it was :mrgreen: and so was the second one I broke on Sunday with 20-22mph sustained gusting over 30 - it was my first sail of the season and the first sail on LadyJane ... and her first sail since being put away in 2008.

We were RIPPIN !!

I checked her out good and on the last walk-around while on the trailer before departure as I rounded the tail and looked at the rudder I had 2 thoughts

1) Hey - I bet thats the original rudder pin
2) I better grab the seat-pack from my other AI which has the spare pins and tools

This one broke not far from shore but the second one I was in the middle of the harbor about 1-1.5 miles from shore in any direction. Water was too choppy and cold to go in the drink so downwind it was with about 10% sail out.

Interesting note - with the sail fully reefed and just me and the sail mast as wind resistance, the whole rig was moving at a GPS'd 3-3.5 mph !! thats when I leashed myself up :shock: Im a strong swimmer but with spray top and bottoms, booties, and a PFD on, I dont think I could have caught it even with the sail fully closed

... after the second pin broke, I reefed enough to not have much rudder pressure and was still flying along.

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

dang,, yeah this has always been a part on the TI that has scared me as well. the only time i had rudder issues on the water thankfully i was docked but my rudder line had chaffed itself off and i lost rudder steering control... it would be a very bad day to have that happen 'out there', but as Captain Ron always says "If anythings gonna happen, its gonna happen out there".

glad you made it back ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:33 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

That is an old pin! We made them stronger a few years back and changed the color to grey to tell them apart. It's a fine line from making them strong enough to hold up to a lot of use, but still the weak link in the system so that they break upon an impact. Any new ones you get will be grey, but will be the same shape. Part number 81394001. Everyone, especially Island sailors, should have spare pins available with them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bcastile wrote:
That is an old pin!

I know :P vintage 2007 and prolly original equipment !! this AI was only used its first season and then stored .. sailed less than a dozen times.

I only wish I could walz my way into a TriFoiler with similar pedigree

Quote:
Everyone, especially Island sailors, should have spare pins available with them.

Amen brother - and the tools to perform the dirty deed.

... I just ordered a dozen

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV