Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all, my name is lance and I am a new member here. A few months ago I bought a used hobie outback in Costa Rica where I have lived for the last 15 years. I have been fishing almost every day on the central pacific coast here and I am loving it! I've caught a ton of mackerel snapper and grouper! Been eating like a king!! Today I hooked into a big rooster fish. Fought him for about twenty minutes and he took me for a nice ride before I finally managed to land him. Rooster isnt the best eatin in the world...I would normally have released him, but he was badly gut hooked and by the time I got him up he was done for. Oh well, you can eat pretty much anything breaded and fried! ;-).

This guy was 4 1/2 feet and right at 60 pounds.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dude that's a stud Roosterfish!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey nice fish/

Where in the central pacific do you usually fish? I'm also in Costa Rica and frequently fish that area. Going this Saturday with a friend who just got his Pro Angler this week to the area between Agujas and Herradura.

Glad to see another (Hobie) kayak fisherman in Costa Rica.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Dan, I live in Jaco, but I fish out of herradura all the time! I am going there tomorrow actually, and I often fish that same stretch you are talking about. Where you living Dan? Give me a shout and maybe I'll hit it with y'all this weekend! You put in at agujas or herradura?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I live in Heredia actually, I'll contact you on Saturday, we are probably launching from Punta Leona.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok Dan, don't wait too long...the bite is ON! :-)) Caught this guy this morning casting a 6" crystal minnow! Right off the tip of the island in herradura.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Oh you are killing me man. Long trip launching from Punta Leona to Herradura. How long you think it would take?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hour and a half or so. I fish around villa caletas some, but I know the herradura area better. Jaco has some great outer reefs too but there is a huge swell coming so we can't launch there. I really don't know the Punta Leona reefs at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yeah I saw about the swells, for this weekend, how covered is Herradura so we can launch there? My buddy is pretty to kayaking so he is a bit nervous.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ya, I have launched in herradura during huge swell. It's always a pretty easy launch. I've never had any problem. And I'll help your buddy time it and get out if he wants. Let me know. I'd be happy to fish there with y'all and share a couple of good spots I've found.

I don't know what time u guys are comin over but I usually fish super early. Daybreak. I like the morning fishing before the wind gets on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yeah we are probably getting there kind of late, taking off from San Jose at around 5 am I guess. Stopping for breakfast at agujas.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You guys are killing me. Central Texas here. Just told the wife I am moving. Lol. Y'all keep catching and posting pics.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Onelgbass wrote:
You guys are killing me. Central Texas here. Just told the wife I am moving. Lol. Y'all keep catching and posting pics.

x100 on that!!!! :lol: 8) :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice Grabs Surfingringo !!! Do you or Dan Morera know where I can buy a brand new Hobie in CR? I was born and raised in Puntarenas and know the areas where you are currently fishing. I currently live in Broward County Florida because I'm a cop waiting for retirement but I'm down in CR every 3 or 4 months. I'm just wondering if I'll be able to buy my Hobie down there or if I'm gonna have to ship it down from the US. Thanks and maybe when I'm down there I'll give you guys a shout.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Orangeshark, I'm friends with the guy used to sell them here, unfortunately he doesn't anymore.

I been looking for someone who does, as I have a few friends who want to buy hobies. So far no luck, no one selling them here. So at this very moment you'll probably have to ship yours.

Maybe Surfinggringo knows of someone.