Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am beginning to plan a peddle / paddle / sail tour to and around Catalina Island from Newport Harbor in an Adventure Island. At this stage I am thinking of a 7 to 10-day time budget.

I have been to Catalina twice and collected the tourist literature; I also have looked at a few island websites. I have been camping and canoe touring for years on freshwater lakes and rivers.

But this will be a step up in terms of possible conditions and hazards, and I want to research and prepare in detail. (Please understand I have found that the planning and anticipation will be a pleasure in its own right.)

I am opening the following physical files and computer directories based on past experience plus new concerns:

1. Navigation, including maps, trip plan, and notifications
2. Communication gear and information, contact list
3. Water safety gear and information
4. Weather and ocean condition information: sources, planning, hazards, and contingencies
5. Camping gear, reservations, and locations
6. Food and water: supplies, gear and replenishment options
7. Repair gear and spare parts kits, including island sources
8. Photo gear, spares, and island resources
9. Health and hygiene gear, supplies, and island resources
10. Fishing gear, supplies, guides , and island resources
11. Clothing, outer gear, and washing stuff, including island resources
12. Kayak rigging and equipment, including island resources
13. Budget and island access to funds

Thoughts? Thanks.

Post subject: Hey Dwest
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sonds like fun to me 8) . So Where did you get your Adventure Island.?
How do you like it so far? Does it sail real well ?
-kepnutz-

Post subject: Still on the beach
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dealer called to say the boat should be ready end of next week. I am on the beach until then.

Anybody know if there is camping on the back side of Catalina at Little Harbor (next to Shark Harbor) or Silver Canyon Landing?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

http://www.ckf.org/Reports/2001/01-09-A ... talina.htm

http://www.kayakcatalinaisland.com/html/camping.html

Post subject: cali canoe and yak shack
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Dwest
I think you better double check. I called today to see if they are getting any in and the person I spoke with said the Hobie A- Island was not due out till next year.. :twisted:
- kepnutz-

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Anyone have a sense of how long it would take to kayak around the island (Avalon to Avalon, for example)?

From the maps and other information so far it looks like 2 very long days or 3 typical days would do it in reasonable conditions.

I am hoping to fish and dive a little so a 5 or 6 day circumnavigation looks very "doable."

Other information? Thoughts? Thanks

P.S. I will check later today (Saturday) on the AI delivery status, and post the results. My earlier info was based on a call from the dealer that my AI would be ready late next week.

Post subject: AI soon
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just called:

CALIFORNIA CANOE & KAYAK
12401 FOLSOM BLVD. #205
RANCHO CORDOVA, CA 95742
Phone: 1-916-353-1880
E-mail: [email protected]

They tell me my Adventure Island is not in yet but reportedly going to set up a “ship dateâ€

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Another Catalina kayak fishing link of interest:

http://www.kayaksportfishing.com/phpBB2 ... highlight=

Post subject: Circumnavigation mileage
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Source: Descanso Beach Ocean Sports http://www.kayakcatalinaisland.com/html/camping.html

From Descanso Beach to:
Willow Cove - 2.5 mi
Long Point - 4.25 mi
Goat Harbor - 6.25 mi
Ripper's Cove - 8.5 mi
Blue Cavern Pt - 11.25 mi
Two Harbors -12.25 mi 12.25

From Two Harbors to:
Emerald Bay - 2.75 mi
Parson's Landing - 4.25 mi
West End - 7.25 mi 7.25

From West End to:
Ribbon Rock - 3 mi
Cat Head - 6.75 mi
Little Harbor - 10 mi 10.00

From Little Harbor to:
Salta Verde Pt. - 7 mi
Silver Canyon Bch - 8.75 mi
Church Rock - 12.5 mi
Avalon - 16.75 mi
Descanso Beach - 17.25 mi 17.25

Total 47.00

Post subject: Nice homework Dwest
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey there Dwest
This trip sounds really cool. When were you thinking of doing it.? There is lots of good information on that link you listed so I put it in my favorites. Keep me posted, I may be interested in going if I have a little more time to get my Yak skills up to snuff etc :oops: I am also a member of Surfline.com (10yrs) and could try to check the surf forecast a little in advance of your trip if nothing else. They have surf/ wave pattern forecasts down to a science there which may rule out being able to put in at certain beaches depending on the swell direction height and period. Not being able to land in a pre-planned area due to high surf might be something to take into cosideration if you have not already done so etc etc :cry:
Thank you
-kepnutz-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

kepnutz

I am hoping to sneak the trip in before the end of the year but will not go until I feel ready. Going to do at least one powerboat circumnavigation first; maybe take the yak and get some water time around parts of the island, too.

Looking to put together a small group to go, locals most welcome. I am ignorant of surfline.com and have been looking for a way to get ocean condition predictions as much in advance as possible. Your help most welcome.

I have compiled a large number of links to sites about Catalina and will simmer them down to a pre-trip planning document for posting. The online yak community has been very helpful.

Thanks again.

Post subject: Hey Neighbor
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow D.W. you are not just playing around there if you plan to go this year. :o I would love to try this thing too but winter is not that far off and the furious Santa Ana winds will kick up next month or so. I just dont know if I could get it together in time but who knows. I would want to be really prepared as you are doing. As for surfline its the surf site I have been using for 10 years to check surf forecasts since its a five plus hour round trip drive for me to get to Santa Cruz and back for a surf session. I want to go when conditions are resonably good enough to make the drive :!: . Chris Collins at surfline is the big man in the surf forecast department and started this site years back. He is known world round for his expertise with surf forecast skills. I would be happy to do what I could on the forecast with info from that site when the time comes etc.
Hope your boat comes in soon cuz if it does they got one for me too.
Keep me posted please.
thank you
-kepnutz-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am going to make this happen. If conditions allow this year, great. If conditions dictate a 2007 trip, then that will be fine, too.

But for now, and until research shows it would be foolish to go in 2006, I am going for it.

Stay tuned!

Post subject: Reposted with permission
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Don:

Your Hobie Adventure should float regardless, but if you want extra flotation inside, making it a combo storage bag wont give you the flotation you need should the hull completely breach (unlikely). Pack light and install regular flotation bags fore and aft.

As a guy who picks up the un-cautious for a living, I can add a few things that most don't think enough of:

(I am putting aside the obvious items like a constant wear PFD, etc.)

1: A very detailed sail/paddle plan..left behind with someone you love / trust.

You want a detailed plan/schedule that includes. Where you are going....when you will be where...when you intend to leave. Possible bail- out points. What equipment you have with you. Your cell phone number (if you are carrying)... You need to think like a rescuer and write down all the stuff you would want to know if YOU had to go look for yourself. This should all be on a single page, easily faxed to the Coast Guard.

Leave instructions with the person who is watching out for you...WHEN to call the coast guard and WHERE to send it. Already have the fax numbers of the Coast Guard ready for them.

Include a detailed description of your boat, Your clothing, You (35 yo White male, 185 lbs etc.)

A detailed and useful float plan is almost always overlooked. We usually get...."My husband wnt out Kayaking and he isn"t back yet!" Us, "Where did he go?" Wife, "on the ocean!"

2. Stick with your plan! Be flexible if you need to....but contact home base with any changes.

3. Stay in touch whenever possible.
Cell phone....vhf radio (a must have safety item) and .... VERY IMPORTANT and worth EVERY PENNY...A 406 EPIRB in your vest! Worn ALL THE TIME. Yes, I know they are 500 bucks plus. Trust me, when you see the helicopter looking for you but theey are too far away to be seen...you will wish you had spent the money.

If the 20 miles between Catalina and the beach has cell phone coverage. Check in with home every hour. If there are dead spots, You would be better off calling just before you leave with your expected return time. Call as soon as you hit the beach.

Remember...as soon as you are out of your boat and in the water...the water is trying to kill you and it is very good at it. The FASTER you get out...the better. Float plan alone: 36 hours is fast. Float plan and 406 EPIRB. 2 hours is average given your distance from shore. Your vest should include (at the very least) the EPIRB and (the all time secret best signalling device made) a flashlight. Waterproof: Pelican lights are my favorite. Point your light at a helicopter and shaking it back and forth is the international signal for "COME LOOK AT ME" to all Coast Guard aircrews.

Another great piece of low tech gear to have with you is a rescue streamer.

5. Know where you are. A handheld GPS (more money I know) is well worth the investment. (duh?)

Listen, I hope this helps. Its a little long winded and maybe very obvious, but I never find people that are this prepared. Why? They are far to prepared to get into trouble, and usually don't.

Safety at sea is easy....think.

You are doing a circumnav of Catalina. Have fun. But that is what you are doing...it is NOT WHERE you are going. Where you are going is this:

You are going to surround yourself on all sides by something that will not sustain human life and if you get in it, it will slowly try to kill you. (thats the ocean).

Remember WHERE you are going...and then prepare for WHAT you are doing.

Mario / CGRS

http://www.opticsplanet.net/pelican-mit ... light.html

http://www.rescuestreamer.com/

https://gpssignal.com/aquafix_406.htm

CGRS – Chesapeake VA – a coast guard rescue swimmer – reposted with permission.

Post subject: very sound advice
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thats kinda hitting some nails on the head for me at the moment :!: The open ocean is no place for me to fool with or head out to ill prepared. Thats one reason I may not be able to get ready for a trip like this in such a short time frame. Furthermore the new A-Island Kayak is not even here yet and I would want some seat time in familiar waters before heading out to sea and sufficient time to test the boats limits and mine in varying conditions until everything was second nature. It would be one thing for me to capsize and re-right in a local lake or river on a nice day and yet another thing to do the same while wet ,cold or tired, in big surf and/or high winds or currents and possibly even being separated from my boat, all at the same time..whew :cry: . ! I would consider maybe even bringing/using my 4/5 wetsuit on a trip of this nature..just..in..case, not to mention EPIRB's and float plans etc. My minimal 10 years of surfing have taught me a lot of R-E-S-P-E-C-T when it comes to the ocean. High winds and big surf can arrive without notice, even if you start out in sunny weather and calm seas things can go from bad to worse in a few short hours. The storms and low pressure areas from the Gulf of Alaska or Hurricanes and Tropical storms off the coast of Mexico can send big waves and high winds for thousands of miles. Even well prepared there are many potential risks and alternative plans to be considered. Yet one still cannot easily expect to plan the ocean conditions lets say.. the day you leave the beach at 9am four weeks from now. There is historical data and trends to rely upon but you just never know, things can change quickly. That being said, it still sounds like the greatest trip to make and I would still love to try and do it, but only if allowed enough time to do it well prepared. Keep us posted on your trip plans at any rate even if you just powerboat over to Catalina this year and do a few days recon in a yak for a Double-O-Seven trip:wink:
_kepnutz_