PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It's a Blue Sea Dual USB Charger Socket 2 USB Ports w/Watertight Cap

Bought from www.firstchoicemarine.com.

Love it.

Post subject: Re: USB Charger
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I continue to use the USB port to charge my phone. Only comment I want to make is that after using this several times, I found that where I installed it isn't necessarily the best place. The USB cord when connected wants to get tangled up with my rod/reels :evil: Saw where someone had installed the charger on the inside of their center hatch bucket. That way you can keep your phone/charger/usb cord all tucked away inside your center hatch. May have to move the charger on a rainy day soon.... If I can figure out how to cover/fill the hole where I have it currently mounted :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wired in parallel with the fishfinder, I assume?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeap

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I go fishing to get away from phones. Good idea though if you want it.

Good thinking

Last edited by C4PZL0K on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm new at this whole thing. I have Zero experience with electrical stuff...

I bought a battery from Kayak fishing supplies. It comes in a pelican box with a plug on the outside. I stripped my lowrance wire and inserted it into the plug as instructed... would I just put the corresponding (+-) wires fron the usb outlet into the plug with the fish finder wires as well?

@ BentRodyakker : could you take a pic / describe how to split for 10 different electronics?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:28 pm 
Hobie Team Member

ccralleo,

All your battery loads (electronics/lights/USB outlets/,,,) all need to be wired in Parallel +12VDC and Return (or Negative, - )

each Item should be fused with the appropriate size fuse. The Fuse is normally on the Positive line.

Remember one thing as you install electrical Items on you Kayak. Water is the enemy of all electrical things... (It's not like wiring a car.

Tim

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks! Im still not sure how to wire a fuse either pictures would help. Thanks for all the advise :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

islandspeed2001 wrote:
I continue to use the USB port to charge my phone. Only comment I want to make is that after using this several times, I found that where I installed it isn't necessarily the best place. The USB cord when connected wants to get tangled up with my rod/reels :evil: Saw where someone had installed the charger on the inside of their center hatch bucket. That way you can keep your phone/charger/usb cord all tucked away inside your center hatch. May have to move the charger on a rainy day soon.... If I can figure out how to cover/fill the hole where I have it currently mounted :oops:

Islandspeed - did you relocate the USB plug yet? I was going to do this inside the center console bucket on my PA14 as you suggest, but when I look at the spec sheet for the plug and then look at the bucket, I don't see where the plug would fit without sacrificing one of the three center tackle box slots. I had hoped to put it in the side "pocket" area, but the plug looks too big to fit there. Where exactly did you put yours?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Haven't gotten around to moving the USB charger port. Guess it hasn't rained yet :D My thought was to move it to the new Hobie center hatch bucket.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

islandspeed2001 wrote:
Haven't gotten around to moving the USB charger port. Guess it hasn't rained yet :D My thought was to move it to the new Hobie center hatch bucket.

When it finally rains, I'd be interested in a follow-up post on how you do this. Unless the bucket geometry is different in your PA14 vs my 2010 PA14, there does not seem to be a good place to fit the plug and still be able to tip the bucket into place. Putting it in the mid-part of the bucket sacrifices one or more tackle boxes (precious real estate!). The front, rear and bottom parts of the raised side "pocket" areas of the bucket are too narrow to accommodate the diameter of the flush-mounted round plug, even without the rectangular collar. Mounting it on the outer port or starboard side of the bucket looks like the connection end of the plug would hang up on the PA decking if mounted up high, and probably would not have room to plug in the USB cord of your phone if mounted down low with tackle boxes in place. I would be very interested in seeing where / how anyone got a USB charger plug into the center bucket because that is really an ideal location. Now quite willing to shell out $25 for the plug just to experiment with, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just a suggestion: before we go drilling more holes in our boats, make sure these chargers won't work better for you.
I personally think the mobility of these devices are much better utilized. I carry them to my bow/deer stands, all my boats, cars, hotel rooms, etc, etc.
Can pack away in drybags and such as needed.

http://www.amazon.com/PowerGen-External ... le+charger

I also have this bigger one too, use it lots, with iphones and ipad:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Trent-iCarrie ... le+charger

Pick your poison ! :P

One Ocean Storm cedar stripbuilt
2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good tip. I cannot bring myself to drilling my PA. I would rather take out one side of rod holders and make a wood faceplate to fit if I really had to have something like that.

Or just buy the battery pack.