Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Side Protection
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

One of my favorite styles of fishing to with my old jon boat was to pull up to pilons and do some sheepshead fishing. But now that my boat is gone and all I have is my PA I am scared to death to scar up the side of the yak with the oyster shells and barnicles. Has anyone seen any kind of protection for the side of the PA or seen anyone do a DIY job for that? I would really like to have something that would hang over the side and protect it while doing that style of fishing then be able to remove it afterwards.

Post subject: Re: Side Protection
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just thinking out loud but what if you put a piece of PVC pipe in a large pool noodle, run a line through it and attach it at the bow and stern? Kind of a hard, cushioned fender.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

BigRedObsession wrote:
One of my favorite styles of fishing to with my old jon boat was to pull up to pilons and do some sheepshead fishing. But now that my boat is gone and all I have is my PA I am scared to death to scar up the side of the yak with the oyster shells and barnicles. Has anyone seen any kind of protection for the side of the PA or seen anyone do a DIY job for that? I would really like to have something that would hang over the side and protect it while doing that style of fishing then be able to remove it afterwards.

My outriggers when pulled in tight against the boat provide that cushion. Six inches of foam.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

TonyNJ wrote:
Just thinking out loud but what if you put a piece of PVC pipe in a large pool noodle, run a line through it and attach it at the bow and stern? Kind of a hard, cushioned fender.

I like this idea. Something simple like this should work. Really I could leave the pool noodle off and just hang a PVC the length of the yak along the sides and front. Good thinking Tony.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Check this out too: http://youtu.be/D9w--lpwP48

No experience with this, but if it works you don't need to deal with deploying/retrieving/stowing some kind of PVC or foam bumper. If it doesn't work, just peel it off!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I did a Search several times but was unable to find an old thread on this subject. Some folks had even gone to the extent of adding diamond shield to the sides of their kayaks to protect them. If someone can remember the old thread and post the link it would be interesting for you to review the solutions they proposed :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:37 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Last month at the Jamaica Bay Fishing tournament I saw a Kayak with a pool noodle duck tapped to the hull. Close inspection showed many scratches and gouges in the duck tape. It looked like he might have been doing some bumping with pier pylons. In the end It provided the hull protection ... Enough said

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

salmontim wrote:
Last month at the Jamaica Bay Fishing tournament I saw a Kayak with a pool noodle duck tapped to the hull. Close inspection showed many scratches and gouges in the duck tape. It looked like he might have been doing some bumping with pier pylons. In the end It provided the hull protection ... Enough said

This also would work. I won't be doing too much sheepshead fishing honestly so this would be a temporary protection. Thanks for the ideas.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I fished harbors in the Great Lakes this past fall where I was constantly tying up to docks, metal piers, and ship docks to fish. Everything was fine until I got into 2 to 3' waves that thrashed me around. I initially tried using 2 inflatable boat fenders but found out that I needed a string of them running along the entire length of my PA (similar to what boats often use). The string of fenders worked perfectly but took up a chunk of space along the side or in the back of my PA when transporting. I'm certainly glad I had a stringer of floats....they allowed me to anchor where I normally wouldn't! It's easy to make your own by stringing rope through a length of fenders. I plan on using the same thing again this year. FYI, I'm pretty sure some of the other things suggested in this post would have been destroyed by some of the thrashing waves! Make sure you keep your hands and fingers away from the sides...and carry a knife to cut your line in case things get spooky!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah I live on the coast of Georgia where we occasionally have a 10' tide swing so I know about hard moving water lol. I hate that these are my home waters. Tides make things so difficult to do any major fishing. Oh yeah And I want to add our slowest rolling tide is about 6' feet of tide change.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I Use our GA tides to my advantage, peddle like crazy to my fishing spot( no matter how far away from the dock it is) and let the tide sweep me back to the launch!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

trout man wrote:
I Use our GA tides to my advantage, peddle like crazy to my fishing spot( no matter how far away from the dock it is) and let the tide sweep me back to the launch!

I usually ride the tide out and ride the incoming back. But im going to try your method troutman. I am up for any advice from a slayer like you lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Spray Rhino Liner on the side? It's light weight, tough, and will provide great protection :D