Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Guys,

I didnt need any of the spare parts I took, except mast balls which I didnt take :roll: That being said I would still take rudder pins, sheer bolts (and now mast balls are added to that list) just incase.

I just left my car and trailer at the public boat ramp car park. I was somewhat worried about the car or trailer not being there when I returned, so I bought a trailer hitch lock that locks the trailer to the car. Also made sure to empty car of all valuables/stereo equipment. Parked under a light aswell.

I specially bought a hammock for this trip. I got a Clarke NX250. I was put onto this by AI adventurer and forum poster "Hollgi" who is also a friend/work colleague of mine. I have never been as comfortable on a camping trip before, I love the hammock. I still packed my tent incase I couldnt find a suitable spot to hang the hammock.

I was originally planning on moving my campsite around the islands, but due to lazyness on my part, I remained camped on Humpy Island and did day trips to the other islands. This worked really well as I wasnt continually changing camp. Also, the other islands did not suit the hammock as well as Humpy did. Humpy Island campsite is great, very spread out, small toilet block, fresh water "camp" shower (which was great to wash off the salt) and numerous picnic tables. Other islands had no facilities.

On the supplies side, I took 50 litres of water for 8 days 7 nights, way to much as I only used a little under 30 litres. I used mainly canned meals with noodles for dinners, assorted single serve cereals with long life milk (popper size) and for lunch I usually had potato chips/twisties with a packet of lollies. Had extra chocolate/mueseli bars and lolly packets as snacks.

Jonno, I sail alot on Moreton Bay, Id certainly be keen for a weekend trip sometime over to Moreton Island. Horseshoe Bay on Peel island is another great place to visit in southern Moreton Bay. Let me know if you want to organise someting.

Pretty average photo quality, but gives an idea of the campsite.

Cheers Dave.

P.S. How long does this "moderation" of new members posts last? Can be annoying waiting for a post to be approved, makes quick communication difficult!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have to agree Dave, the hammock is the best addition I've ever made to camping. I tell myself that age has nothing to do with it but before the hammock, I was finding that each time I went camping, the sorer I got. As a kid you could sleep on a concrete slab, but these days, I find that even a good quality, expensive inflatable mattress is uncomfortable. I must admit that the hammock took about 3 nights to really get used to, but now it's as good as jumping out of my own bed.

P.S. I didn't know that there was a moderation period for new members. Understandable though, you do sound like a pretty dodgy character. :lol:

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Dave - thanks for the interesting breakdown. So where do you launch from in Moreton Bay?

Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT
Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

johnno wrote:
Hi Dave - thanks for the interesting breakdown. So where do you launch from in Moreton Bay?

I usually use Cleveland boat ramp, or sometimes Victoria Point boat ramp if I'm playing in the southern area of the Bay.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HI Dave
I know this is a really old thread ! but we live in Ocean Shores and also wanting to go to Great Keppel. What was it like sailing from Yeppoon? How long did it take to get across and what were the conditions like? Thanks!