Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've had my AI for a little over a year and like it very much. All except for the tub of water you sit in while using it. Every AI owner knows what I'm talking about. I have tried various methods to raise the seat, which is ultimately what you have to do to get your butt out of the water tub. So far none of my solutions have satisfied me completely, at least until now. I think.

Last week I used two-part urethane foam (cures hard and rigid) to effectively raise the seat bottom tub by 1-1/2 inch. This included raising the scupper tubes and seat peg fittings as well. Everything is now 1-1/2 inch higher. To maintain the same angle for the seat back straps, I relocated the u-fittings to the peg location which is just above and slightly behind the original location. Turns out, This raises the strap end by 1-1/2 inches. So everything is just exactly as it was before, with the exception of everything being 1-1/2 inches higher. Not enough to really change the feel of the boat under you, but enough that there is no longer a tub of water in the boat. The water level is now about a half inch below the top of the scupper tops. Water still comes in from heeling or splashing, but it runs right back out. You still get wet, but you don't sit in a puddle.

The first time I sat in it I knew it felt good. I've used it a couple times and everything works just as before, without the puddle. If I have time this weekend I'll take some photos or shoot a video on how to do it. It is possible to do this in a non-permanent fashion as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom, adding a pair of those syphon one-way valves at the top of the scuppers will reduce the amount of water coming in too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Only to some extent. Since the seat bottom is lower than the outside water level, any water that splashes in never fully exits through the valves. They can't drain the water any lower on the inside than where it is on the outside. All they're going to do is keep the water from immediately coming up into the seat tube from the scuppers themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Tom......the A.I. without the akas need the low position of the seat to maintain balance. However, most of us never use the A.I without the akas so your idea is a great one. I think the Hobie R&D guys could fit a higher detachable seat for the single A.I to give users a two seat position option.
You could put in a tinnie seat......
Other enthusiast have made more elaborate constructions but you will get the general idea..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0lz9wMqKXU[/youtube]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Right, but my solution only raises the seat bottom 1-1/2 inch so it's not going raise the center of gravity of the boat anywhere near what those hard seats are going to do. Try one of those without your akas and amas attached.

And... my solution can be removed in a second if you want to go back to the lowest, and wettest, seating position. It can be done in either permanent or removable fashion.

I just shot the first part of a video showing how to do it. I'll try to get it online later this weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrdT0gzQ ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Excellent improvement Tom. This will go on the 'Backyard Hobie Winter Mods' list for sure.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Should be a nicer.....warmer ride now. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My skipper seat (on a swivel and ply platform) is only attached by three cord loops to the crossbar. Lift the seat up at the front and the ropes become a "hinge" so stuff can be stored beneath. Undo them and the hull is totally standard

Last edited by tonystott on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Skipper seats Tony..........so comfy :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I got a few PM's asking for a photo of the completed seat bottom without the seat on it. Here it is:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very nice video, Tom. Some good ideas there. It seems something like that molding could be done to fit a Captain's chair better.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon