Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

So, I was helping out at a site that the local HOW chapter does some freshwater events at a few weeks ago. We were there to help get the site ready for the upcoming events held there almost weekly. My job was to use my PA and patrol the ponds for any trash that had made it's way onto the water. I spent the better part of 4 hours pedaling about and found plenty of trash to be thrown away. When it was time to leave, I beached the PA, secured everything and tilted it on its side to install the cart. Cart installed, PA righted, locking pin engaged. Here's where the fail occurred.

I went to roll away and felt resistance. I looked under the PA and saw the issue - a small 4" 'step' was in the ground from some buried cinder blocks. I raised the PA to gain a little leverage and started to move, only the PA veered to the right immediately. I knew something was amiss, so I offloaded the PA to drag it a little further past the step and then discovered the issue.

The slight resistance from the step caused the entire right side of the kart to completely contort and twist almost 3" outward. I was pissed. I was able to twist it back close to straight but the fact that an HD cart could be disfigured so easily concerns me. I realize it is an aluminum cart, but the joints are all welded.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

My other issue with both the HD cart and the beach cart is that the locking collars do not remain in their position on the cart tower masts under load. I have loosened and tightened them multiple times now, and every time I move the PA, the collars drop and I end up with tires rubbing the underside of my PA. I even had the retailer where I bought my PA install the collars on one of the carts just to make sure I was doing it correctly and they still dropped.

Very frustrating.

Any tips or ideas? I had a thought about possibly drilling a hole through the cart masts under the lock collars and inserting a cotter style anchor pin to prevent the collars from dropping.

Any help?

PowerTeam Lures - deadly on bass!!! use promo code "HANOVER" at checkout for a 15% discount

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Remove the collars and cut 2 pieces of PVC and slide them on and replace the collars, they wont be able to slide down any more.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

In another thread, I showed how I made spacer collars out of PVC pipe. Read it here: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=47419

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had to take the collars off and use a thin file to take out some material in the slit. That allowed the collar to clamp tighter. And to make that work I had to replace the screws and use screws with plastic lined locking nuts. Filed a flat area to take the nut so an open end wrench could be use on it. Then the cross bar and axle tack welds failed miserably so I had to silver solder those four joints. The poke in carts are really not a good solution. Made my own mini trailer for moving and launching'retrieving the Yak easily. Tows great behind my electric bike. See pics in my signature below.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The cart welds failing is something that is fully covered by warranty - just contact your dealer and the cart frame will be replaced no questions asked (we have worked with our supplier to fix the weld situation and the new inventory has been strengthened)
As for slipping collar clamps, we are working to come up with a solution. The collar clamps were designed before some of the larger models existed, and that extra load is overcoming the holding power of the clamp. A solution will is being worked on for that - but in the meantime you could just double up on the clamps, get a 2nd pair from a shop and try that... when we have an answer for a fix we'll be sure to share it with everyone.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had my PA cart fail also - took a picture of the broken cart and the serial number of my boat to my dealer, and I had a new frame ready to pick up the next day!
(Granted, my dealer is just a few miles from the Hobie Warehouse!)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hanover_Yakker :
I did the same as Jenko on my Tandem Island (before the TI special spacer came out). I just cut some PVC tubing to the right length (mine ended up about 1 inch long), I slid them on then put the clamps on and tightened them up. Problem solved.
Bob

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks everyone. I'll get the cart replaced and use the PVC trick until the new solution comes out.

PowerTeam Lures - deadly on bass!!! use promo code "HANOVER" at checkout for a 15% discount

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I too have had the same problem. I have a brand new PA14 and the first time I thought it was because the cross bar weld had broken. I have a 50 yard trek down a gravel path from my truck to the water. At the end of a long day, I was exhausted and didn't think much of the resistance except that I was beat. Realized when I got to level ground that something was not right. I got a replacement cart from my local dealer, but it only took 25 ft this weekend to realize that the collars were actually slipping due to the weight of the kayak. Lost a whole day fishing and had to get help to carry the kayak back to my truck. :evil:

I came up with the PVC fix too, but I shouldn't have had too. Especially after spending $160 on a cart that was not designed correctly. Hobie should have figured this out before the customers did! Now I have a "rigged" cart and two worn spots on my scuppers from the tire rubbing that has me concerned about the integrity of my new boat! Hobie's getting an earful and some pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I went to use my Hobie Heavy Duty cart last year, I noticed the issue of the clamps slipping down. An easy fix I found was to drill a good sized hole through 2 tennis balls. I slide each tennis ball down on top of the clamps (which are all the way down) and it works great! I never have any issues with the tires of the cart getting near the hull even when fully loaded and the post sticks out with plenty of room to use the cart retaining pin.

The tennis balls are a nice cushion against the scupper holes.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I tried the tennis ball thing -- but ended up cutting small PVC spacers, I could have stopped there but I wanted to make sure scuppers did not get worn -- so I cut the PVC a lil bit more put them on and collars over them then the tennis balls... works like a champ (for now)

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can someone post a pic of there cart with the pvc pipes on it?

Thanks