Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sailing without a jib?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey y'all

So left the boat out on the beach with the jib furled along comes Andrea and didn't get a chance to bring the mast down and now my Jib is shredded. So my question is how well does the H16 sail without the jib? I have quite a bit of mast rake and tacking can sometimes be a chore. Should I reduce or eliminate the rake altogether. We have a new jib on order but will take afew weeks to get and my vaca is only till next week.

Thanks in advance!

Will

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you thought it was hard to tack before... just wait until you try it without a jib.. :mrgreen:

I would take out some of the rake to at least attempt to take out some of the weather helm... Then use the jib halyard and some sturdy line to tension the rig for 'fine' tuning.

If it is really blowing it can be fun!

Note in this picture I am using the jib sheet to tension the rig.. That works also... I guess...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

YES use the jib halyard it works fine and if nothing else you will get better tacking.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ronholm wrote:
Note in this picture I am using the jib sheet to tension the rig.. That works also... I guess...

Not sure using the jib sheet to tension the rig is such a good idea. You end up putting the bridles and forestay at funky angles and you also put a lot of load on the jib blocks/tracks. I imagine that if you were to really crank in the mainsheet tension, you could break something (either a jib block or a bow tang would be my guess).

I think it would be a lot safer to use the jib halyard to tension the rig, or just pin the forestay lower in the adjuster to tension the rig as is done on all the other Hobie models.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

srm wrote:
ronholm wrote:

Not sure using the jib sheet to tension the rig is such a good idea. You end up putting the bridles and forestay at funky angles and you also put a lot of load on the jib blocks/tracks. I imagine that if you were to really crank in the mainsheet tension, you could break something (either a jib block or a bow tang would be my guess).

I think it would be a lot safer to use the jib halyard to tension the rig, or just pin the forestay lower in the adjuster to tension the rig as is done on all the other Hobie models.

sm

While I never experienced any problems, I cannot argue with that.