Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have had a Hobie 16 for about 10 years - the boat hasn't been in the water in quite some time; I am trying to get it back in operation.

I have noticed that there are three large soft spots on the sides of the hulls - the shell is so soft that the gelcoat is cracking and there is a visible bulge where the soft spot is located.

I have used the west systems epoxy repair for the top of the hulls with success but when I tried this on the sides of the hulls, the epoxy seems to be collecting along the bottom centerline of the hull.

Any advice on how to proceed with this repair? I have heard bad things about expanding foam, but these voids will take gallons of epoxy to fill.

Any help is appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the same thing! I have several soft spots on the hull and one spot that is visibly distorted. I think I may cut a hole in the top of the hull, install a port, and then fix it when I have the hull opened.

I'm thining of picking up some expanding foam and filling areas of the hull with that in hopes of fixing the warping. I don't want to give up on these hulls.

Post subject: Delamination
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:54 am 
Site Admin

This is a delamination of the foam sandwich construction. There is a FAQ forum "Hobie Sailing - FAQ" Take a look at the top of the main forum index. There is a FAQ where there is a description on how to fix it.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1156

There are also several (recent) threads on the issue. Just do a search for the key word "delamination".

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Hull delamination
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt,

Thanks for your response. When working on the side of the boat, will the repair be more effective if the boat is on its' side?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It might work better if it's upright. Add the resin from the top and it'll flood the void from bottom to top. JMHO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree. I'm no expert, but I fixed some soft spots on the sides of my 18 last fall, and turned the boat up on it's side to do the repair. It was a bit strange, as I had to do the fix from the top of a step ladder in order to reach, but it worked pretty well. If you can, play around with the angle the boat leans at a little bit to get the surface you're fixing as flat as possible.

Conesus Lake, NY
1976 Hobie 14

Post subject: delam fix
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is how I repaired the hulls on the side of my h16. The boat was on the trailer and not on its side. I had the ripples on the side, the delamination repair did not remove them, but they seem to have no effect on the sailing of the boat. I used the west system, if you use it make sure to get extra of everything you need, (Epoxy, hardner, syrenges etc.) You can always returned the unopened containers for a refund. I repaired it last fall and sailed this summer with no problems. A tip on using the syrenges- after you put them in the hole you drilled you may have to back them out just a little to help the epoxy flow, I also cut the tips of mine at a slight angle. Also cover the entire area plus the bottom of the hulls with a good quality 3inch masking tape, this will help clean up and keep from getting drips of epoxy on your hull. I drilled a lot of holes in the side of the hulls using a 1/8 inch drill bit with a stop set at about 1/16 of an inch- you may need a little more depth, but do not drill through the inner hull.
Good Luck
Here is my post
John

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... annanahead