Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I noticed a new video uploaded on youtube this week by someone called JBernier2000 - not sure if this is the same person as JBernier from Hobie we see on this forum - The video was a really nice film of his (very) young family getting their sea legs on the Hobie TI on Lake Hodges in San Diego. However as I was watching the video I noticed a couple of items on the Top of the AKAs that are not on my recently purchased TI and I tried to figure what they might be but could not quite make them out. At times they look like a ram ball and at other times maybe a cleat. I was wondering if anyone on here can identify what they are? Or maybe JBernier can tell us?

Here's a link to the video if you want to see that too - take a look and tell me what you think it is !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOV-zFnDnCk

Whatever they are, its a nice video and it shows the TI as the great family outing it was designed to be.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

120 views but no takers?
Hmmm I have to assume this is either VERY easy and no -one wants to embarrass me :oops: OR its VERY hard and no-one wants to take a crack at it :? Or a third option is no-one is interested :roll: :lol:
I re-ran the video in full screen and got a better look at one of them

So now I am thinking this is a lead block that is perhaps used for a jib (that is not in the video) or maybe some kind of barber hauler.
Here's why I think it might be a lead block http://www.ronstan.com/marine/product.asp?ProdNo=RF2379

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In the 2nd picture, the right one looks like a RAM ball mount, but on the left and in the first picture, not so much. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My brain hurts, but I don't know what they are!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's the same type of blocks they used on the early experimental TI Jibs and that's also a very good placement for jib lines.

There's a recent rumor floating around that very soon Hobie may finally be introducing jibs for AI's and TI's. But it was more of a speculative rumor based on the fact that all sails (AI and TI) are shipping to the dealers with that extra jib loop that was only on the TI's before. Ought to be interesting ....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi everyone - yes, that's me and my family on a recent TI outing to Lake Hodges on one of our factory demo mules - our demo boats get all sorts of stuff put on them while they're in our fleet and over the past few seasons this boat has been through the ringer.

1) On the left photo that's just a lance cleat - I think this was put on for one of our jib kits at some point... that isn't coming to market that I'm aware of.

The beauty of the TI is the simplicity of the rig, and how quickly you can set up and break down, and ease of use (proven here by my ability to sail with my 2 boys ages two and nine months) so adding a jib just hasn't really been shown to add much beside a tiny bit of sail area, by having it though you lose several of the positives of the original design...so not sure where the jib is heading.... or if it is going anywhere at all, we'll see (surely it isn't my decision, but if it were, my vote would be -no- to the adding of a jib onto the TI)

2) The other photo on the right I'm not even sure what it is...likely its just a ram ball - trust me guys, there's nothing to either of those things... it's not a part of the boat or any future projects. They likely got put on there by one of our fishing staff here at some point for taking out to the kelp beds to catch some sea bass or something :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well it's nice seeing the future generation of Hobie employees already running equipment tests for you! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jbernier wrote:
Hi everyone - yes, that's me and my family on a recent TI outing to Lake Hodges.........
1) On the left photo that's just a lance cleat - I think this was put on for one of our jib kits at some point... that isn't coming to market that I'm aware of. ....................

2) The other photo on the right I'm not even sure what it is...likely its just a ram ball - trust me guys, there's nothing to either of those things... it's not a part of the boat or any future projects. They likely got put on there by one of our fishing staff here at some point for taking out to the kelp beds to catch some sea bass or something :)
Well thanks JB for clarifying that - I thought (hoped) something new was in the wind for the TI (forgive the lousy pun) . It sure was a really nice video though with your 2 boys. At 9 months he must be the youngest TI sailor ! I live in Carlsbad and sail Lake Hodges, Oceanside, Mission Bay and Dana Point so hope to see you out there sometime - mine is a red TI with the name "Aussieonyak" on the front - got a chance to sail with Rich Gleason in San Diego Bay on the Hobie Cat Regatta day and that was great fun too. Its really nice to see the Hobie staff enjoying the Islands too - that speaks volumes for the quality of the boats.