Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to mention that I joined Whitstable Yacht Club (WYC) in the UK.
It's apparently one of the oldest clubs in the UK and is celebrating its centenary this year.
http://www.wyc.org.uk/

Looking forward to taking my newly purchased not so young Hobie 16 to home it there tomorrow and to meet members that I hope will willing to help me in my pursuit of Hobie happiness!

Interestingly its not that far from a 3000 ton ticking time bomb the commonly locally known doomsday ship wreck 'Montgomery' but hopefully far enough ;-)

In case anyone is interested in the Montgomery and it's pending risk to London and surrounding areas I have provided a couple of links.
Some estimate that if this thing was to blow it would be the largest non nuclea blast in history creating Britain's first tsunami.

Snippet:
'It’s estimated that anything from 1,400 to 3,000 tons of explosives are still packed in its water-logged hull, and it has been said that their detonation would cause one of the biggest non-nuclear explosions ever — 700 times the size of the bomb which claimed 168 lives in Oklahoma City in 1995.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2195590/3-000-ton-timebomb-shipwrecked-Thames-estuary.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

Watery grave: SS Richard Montgomery before it sank near Sheerness in the Thames estuary

Kind Regards,
Steve

Hobie 16 1996 (my latest)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just read about the Montgomery from your link :shock: last summer we were sailing over the hulk of a civil war blockade runner off Cape Fear in North Carolina (exposed at low tide), a hazard we were unaware of, but nothing like yours.

Is there a beach cat community there for you? And congrats on the boat!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Jonh,
Thank you for you post and apologies for not replying sooner.
The community here is mainly based around Dart catamarans, There is one other H16 owner and a Hobie Wildcat owner. All cats of this size fall under the small cat class of which I have met the captain on a number and who has been very helpful and is amiable.

So, a pal and I took out the H16 for the second time the other day. We completed setting her up on the beach when a group of Chinese tourists turned up and started taken pictures, they eventually moved on to replaced by a group of Japanese tourists that proceeded to do the same, then to top it off this fella turned up with two stunning chicks and asked if they could model with the boat for a few shots. Hahaha it was great! I remember thinking, would this have happened with a dingy? :-)

We did finally get to sail her, though it was quiet nerve racking casting off for what was the second time sailing ever and with all these onlookers, onlooking. I think we got lucky though as everything fell into place and we sailed off like a couple of pros, well, I don't think we embarrassed ourselves too much ;-)

All the best,
SRG

Hobie 16 1996 (my latest)