Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello all, I'm planning on purchasing a Lowrance Elite 5 Fishfinder\GPS unit for my Pro Angler14. I already have 2 12" geartracs on my mounting boards. I am looking for some type of mount that can support my FF that can be attached to the geartracs. Could someone make some recommendations on which mount to look for? I would prefer some type of Yalattack or Scotty mounts, as I would like to stay away from Ram Mounts, I don't like having a ball mount to use. Also for the battery, had anyone used the new battery holder? Should I use that or construct some type of waterproof box such as a Pelican Case or other type of battery box?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The rear hatch (new)battery holder works great :!:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I got a ram mount that is compatible with my elite 4 dsi and like it alot. Can remove the finder easily from the gear track and remove the screw ball it attaches to as well. If you want to mount your battery in the rear hatch, just keep in mind that you will probably need to extend the wiring. Probably pretty easy to do but just throwing it out there. I purchased the drop in gear bucket to replace the pivoting tackle management system and keep my small 12 volt battery in it. still have plenty of room for other gear.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If it's of any help, in my experience using RAM I haven't had any issues. My fish finder, camera, evolve motor control, RAM fishing rod tube, and soon action cam are mounted using them. I've accidentally kicked the fish finder when trying to exit the yak and it did not affect the position of the RAM mount, though fortunately the FF base holder tilted. Very versatile when it comes to positioning devices especially things with screens that don't display well in sunlight.

For the battery I got the Hobie big fish finder kit and taped velcro to the bottom of the battery and the hull of the kayak.. placed it in the battery foam to counter potential roll in rough waters. In practice it's definitely gonna stay put on the water.. it takes a firm tug to get the velcro to unhook. The stock PA tackle box cage fits and operated perfectly though I don't use it. I like to store my lunch bag, first aid kit, dry towel, etc in this spot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice setup. Do the rod holder or FF get in the way when you are fishing or if you need to self rescue?