Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for this thread! Since I'm in south louisiana i figure i may as well go with cypress. A little heavier but will never have a problem with the wood. It's really solid and interestingly a single haka will float me (205 lb). So I guees it's also an extra emergency flotation device. Love it! Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought the Navionics app for Android followsing Stringy's advice, and it is a real bargain for only $14.95. Unlike the Navionics Silver micro SD cazrd I have on my Elite 4 DSI plotter (cost $125 for all of Australia), the Android app is not restricted to 10 metre depth info, so I now carry my phone in a waterproof pouch on a lanyard around my neck, so I can record my track, and have redundant navigation wshen offshore. Well worth it....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice, hunterguy, nice.

I was wondering, does the wife let you troll in those waters?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hahaha I know I'm not the only one who has tried pool spinning in their hobie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I started reviewing this thread from beginning on monday to fill my head with ALL the great ideas that have been presented along the way before I start my build ...

... and while there are several funny comments, this treasure on pg 23 caused me to have to clean a mouthful of coffee off my monitor

chrisj wrote:
It's well worth it, to keep your butt from marinating in salt water

I know my fingers "prune" after a 20 minute soak in the hottub - can only imagine what my ... oh, nevermind :D

PS - there are many dead links so far (up to page 23) from photo's that no longer exist ... quite a shame. I know on other hobby relate boards I frequent some like this one require external storage and links to view photo's. Others enable you to upload photo's - I know all about the costs of server storage etc. but the cost of knowledge and its loss also needs to be considered

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your point is very well taken with me.

I was shocked when Apple canceled their MobileMe site and ceased providing any static picture sharing. I wrote a pithy letter, and roasted them for abandoning their paying customers, noting all the forum disruptions and the senseless work it would require THEIR best customers to rebuild millions of visuals, posted across the web. I certainly had this thread in mind.

Lotta good it did. :roll:

So your comments are words to the wise. Yes, Hobie could've easily turned on picture sharing at the forum, but I don't really blame them for the problem, as much as I do apple and other fly-by-night operations. Hobie's policy does make our photo contributions vulnerable to all types of market fluctuations however, so choose your photo sharing sites carefully people, and pay your dues!

Back to the subject at hand, which way are you leaning with your Haka design?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
Back to the subject at hand, which way are you leaning with your Haka design?

... I do have some Brazilian teak left over from doing the "not-so-great" room but that stuff is H E A V Y

I tend to bite off more than I can chew, meaning I'd LOVe to make something that could function as a sub-floor for camping on but, I don't see myself doing any immediate extended-day trips where that would be necessary. I also like the idea of HDPE, but again thats on the heavy side. I'd LOVE to use 3-5" bamboo lashed together ole-skewl but as of pg 23 its untried and I wouldn't know where to source it.

I will say this - I sailed AI#2 which doesn't have tramps a couple times and I really miss not having them. I almost always have sailed with them on AI#1 only leaving them furled when there was BIG wind.

I'm really liking the the quarterdeck extending into the Haka's ... but I'm only half way through the saga and yet to finish the story catching up to where you all are now.

I took tomorrow off - its looking to be a great day out and I plan on taking my nephew out for a maiden for him. Then I have Sat/Sun to play as wife.com is working :lol:

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since you have 2 boats, a small trailer and the wife.com, my advice would be; keep em cheap, light and short (easy to transport in car). You can always build the Chopcat work-of-art model or Aussieyaks "Transformer" versions later and show them off on "special" occasions.

Again, sorry for the lost links. I'll do what I can to resurrect some more of them...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

surferhunterguy wrote:
Hahaha I know I'm not the only one who has tried pool spinning in their hobie
To be sure- I'm just jealous cuz my AI won't fit in my Spa Tub. I have to pretend sail it in the back yard, while the neighbors snicker...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
Your point is very well taken with me.

I was shocked when Apple canceled their MobileMe site and ceased providing any static picture sharing. I wrote a pithy letter, and roasted them for abandoning their paying customers, noting all the forum disruptions and the senseless work it would require THEIR best customers to rebuild millions of visuals, posted across the web. I certainly had this thread in mind.

Lotta good it did. :roll:

So your comments are words to the wise. Yes, Hobie could've easily turned on picture sharing at the forum, but I don't really blame them for the problem, as much as I do apple and other fly-by-night operations. Hobie's policy does make our photo contributions vulnerable to all types of market fluctuations however, so choose your photo sharing sites carefully people, and pay your dues!
I've noticed some photos I've posted in the past via Imageshack have disappeared randomly. Can I recommend again using a public Dropbox folder to post images. The images live in a folder on your computer and are mirrored by the Dropbox server, so even in the unlikely event of Dropbox ceasing to exist, at least all your old posted photos are organised in one place and would be relatively easy to re-post with a new server.

PassWind wrote:
I'm really liking the the quarterdeck extending into the Haka's ...
Combining the quarterdeck with Hakas gives you a nice continuous deck right around the boat and makes it easy to slide from one Haka to the other when tacking or gybing. On the other hand, it's a lot of timber to be carrying around on the boat. More often than not, I sail without the full complement of decks. Still, it's nice having them all available so I can choose, according to circumstances.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Definitely lots of ways to go, even on the AI.

Tramps + full-size wing, Hakas + mini wing (Quarterdeck), Hakas only, wing only. Let's not forget the Australian La-Z-Boy recliner. ;-)

For day sailing solo-style, the quarterdeck should be the lightest, most useful choice. Terrific for fishing trips too. But it's the most complicated to build right, due in part to all the different deck angles. (I've seen guys literally just lay half sheets of plywood across the back, though).

While it's not really a concern with the TI, the solo AI sailor will usually want to grab as few things as possible to transport. But the longer you plan to be on the water, the more you'll appreciate having the extra seating room beneath you.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Okay, call me stupid, but I just had a thought... What about yet another concept specifically for TIs?

For want of a label, let's call it the "V-bench". A haka runs on each side diagonally from the outer part of the aka to the cargo are behind the back seat, forming a "V" with its partner. The skipper then has variations of quarterdeck and haka to move about on.

I will leave you lot to nut out the details :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
Okay, call me stupid, but I just had a thought... What about yet another concept specifically for TIs?

For want of a label, let's call it the "V-bench". A haka runs on each side diagonally from the outer part of the aka to the cargo are behind the back seat, forming a "V" with its partner. The skipper then has variations of quarterdeck and haka to move about on.

I will leave you lot to nut out the details :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That's an interesting idea Tony. It would address a slight shortcoming with conventional Hakas, that you can't vary how far you are sitting out from the hull, according to wind strength. I'm not even sure if that matters in a TI, but in an AI, it can leave you with the windward ama dragging in the water when the wind drops.

NOHUHU wrote:
Tramps + full-size wing

NOHUHU, can you use the Batwing without Hakas to support it?

NOHUHU wrote:
I've seen guys literally just lay half sheets of plywood across the back, though.
Must get interesting if they try to hike out. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If it goes over the Aka yes, Chris. Orit could be used together with tramps. If made right. the wing will be flush to and overlap the Hakas slightly.

Whereas the quarterdeck would span behind the Akas and not overlap, if I can use that analogy.

The new aka knuckles probably require a little different design approach than the v1 Akas, which we had at the time we started building the first wings.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
If it goes over the Aka yes, Chris. Orit could be used together with tramps. If made right. the wing will be flush to and overlap the Hakas slightly.

Whereas the quarterdeck would span behind the Akas and not overlap, if I can use that analogy.

The new aka knuckles probably require a little different design approach than the v1 Akas, which we had at the time we started building the first wings.

The quarterdeck sits over the akas and rests on them at its outer extremities. That's what allows you to sit out on it without having to tie it down. Is that how the Batwing works without the Hakas?
I had to modify the design a bit when I switched from v2 back to v1 akas.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 88  Next