Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been told you can buy them new in Panama and that the guy will meet u at the border. Not the simplest plan, but probably easier than shipping from the states.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info guys !!! I never thought about Panama but even though is not the simplest thing to do in Costa Rica is probably better and cheaper than shipping it from the US. Food for thought.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Lance, guys,
Glad to see your two big pics here. Before I cracked up my Revolution 13 in a big thunderstorm last week out a mile in front of Hermosa, I managed to take down this 11lb Needlefish.

I'm out of commissioner for awhile till I can get a new replacement from Hobie via Panama. Looking to buy an AI also. Wonder when I'll be back on the water. :roll:

Here's the damage.

August, 08 made Kayak, bought in 2010 here in Costa Rica. Come on Hobie do me right. I hope it goes quickly. Each day kills me out of the water, lol.

Lance you may want to do the following to your Outback before you develop any problems. It's a free kit from Hobie. Here's the fix.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11245&hilit=cam+columns+epoxy

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40951&p=166381&hilit=cam+columns+epoxy#p166381

I think my crack is too big for this fix in such a high pressure area. Wish I had known before hand.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Been to Costa Rica six times. My daughter is in Santa Teresa near Mal Pais coming home the 22nd. We wemt to Jaco two years ago and was thinking how nice it would to be to fish my Hobie down there.

These pics make me realize that it's better than I imagined. There are some nice schoolie sized yellow fin tuna and Mahi in Mal Pais Past Sunset Reef Marina at the point. Have you been there Surfingringo?

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey Mark let me know how it goes getting the Hobie from Panama, I think I'll get a new kayak next year.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Contacted the Panama guys, here are the prices:

revolution 13 $2113,
Revolution 11 $2170,
Outback $2170,
Pro Angler 12 $2999,
Pro Angler 14 $3176

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dan Morera wrote:

revolution 13 $2113,
Revolution 11 $2170,
Outback $2170,
Pro Angler 12 $2999,
Pro Angler 14 $3176

Yes, a little higher than the U.S. prices, also there is a 7% commission on top of that. Still, I'm looking into what the import fees would be direct to Costa Rica. I'm guessing a lot, maybe as high as 30 to 50%. So Panama may be the way to go to avoid custom fees.
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey mark, I want to talk to you about that fix...is that a preventative measure? I'll call u later about that. Between all the cr fishermen here, maybe we are going to have to get us a "kayak coyote" to start bringing em in from panama!

Ok guys, I gotta show off a little more, scored another good rooster yesterday. This one casting a crystal minnow. About 5 feet from the same rock where I caught that big snapper last week! Hehehe...I'll never tell! This guy went 30-40...and a couple of nice mackerel just for good measure.
:-)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

oh you are telling this saturday!!!! :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

CR Yaker wrote:
Dan Morera wrote:

revolution 13 $2113,
Revolution 11 $2170,
Outback $2170,
Pro Angler 12 $2999,
Pro Angler 14 $3176

Yes, a little higher than the U.S. prices, also there is a 7% commission on top of that. Still, I'm looking into what the import fees would be direct to Costa Rica. I'm guessing a lot, maybe as high as 30 to 50%. So Panama may be the way to go to avoid custom fees.
Mark

Nice work Dan !!! Assuming that the above prices are for brand new 2013 Hobie Models, your best bet will be to buy directly from Panama. I have a feeling that shipping it from the US to CR is going to cost way more in shipping/customs/brokers fees. Seems like the Panama Hobie dealer is only charging an extra $200 per model and if you think about it, the additional 7% Commission would be the equivalent to a sales tax you would pay if you buy it in the US.

Dan if you get a chance can you provide the Panama dealer telephone number or contact Info. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OrangeShark wrote:
CR Yaker wrote:
Dan Morera wrote:

revolution 13 $2113,
Revolution 11 $2170,
Outback $2170,
Pro Angler 12 $2999,
Pro Angler 14 $3176

Mark

Nice work Dan !!! Assuming that the above prices are for brand new 2013 Hobie Models, your best bet will be to buy directly from Panama. I have a feeling that shipping it from the US to CR is going to cost way more in shipping/customs/brokers fees. Seems like the Panama Hobie dealer is only charging an extra $200 per model and if you think about it, the additional 7% Commission would be the equivalent to a sales tax you would pay if you buy it in the US.

Dan if you get a chance can you provide the Panama dealer telephone number or contact Info. Thanks.

I think there might also be a sales tax for Panama on top of the price + commission.
Here is the shop number and sales person in charge.
Marcos García
Latitude Sports Panamá
396/6072

To contact the Hobie rep in charge: [email protected]
Salvador is his name.
Another potential issue, that I noticed when down there is that they don't take credit cards. Not sure if they can work around that. Big issue when you want to order the kayak without going down there. Please ask and find out for us what they say, or I will soon enough. I'm just waiting on seeing what kind of deal or discount I'll be getting on a replacement revo.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yeah that's him area code 507 . You'll need that if calling from Costa RIca

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Update: I've been in contact with Salvador this evening and have the following to add:
1. He can do Paypal (CC is possible but isn't direct)
2. The prices Dan quoted from Panama are with tax, add 7% commission for total.
3. They will deliver to the border.
4. They have the AI in stock. AI price is $4313 + 7% commission = $4,615, also noticed they had the PA's and Revo 11 on display when I visited.

I will find out tomorrow if they have my color and the model is 2012/13. It's a sale. I could be on the ocean by next Monday? :o :lol: 8)
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Surfingringo wrote:
Hey mark, I want to talk to you about that fix...is that a preventative measure? I'll call u later about that. Between all the cr fishermen here, maybe we are going to have to get us a "kayak coyote" to start bringing em in from panama!

:lol: You bet. Yeah, Lance, your definitely going to want to reinforce your mirage columns like the guy did in the second link. Don't know where we can get that 3M epoxy product they recommend. Didn't have it here in town. Maybe out at Marine Supply over in Herradura, or as usual well have to lug it back from the States. Not an immediate concern but something your going to want to do.

Kayak Coyote, :lol: , good idea, no I'll just take everything out of any boxes, throw some dirt and mud on it. Bring a fishing pole. "I was kayak fishing down in Golfito."

Nice Macs,
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

65Strad wrote:
Been to Costa Rica six times. My daughter is in Santa Teresa near Mal Pais coming home the 22nd. We wemt to Jaco two years ago and was thinking how nice it would to be to fish my Hobie down there.

These pics make me realize that it's better than I imagined. There are some nice schoolie sized yellow fin tuna and Mahi in Mal Pais Past Sunset Reef Marina at the point. Have you been there Surfingringo?

Nice Tom,
With an AI and a new GPS FF, I'll be swinging out into the middle of the bay this fall looking for some YT, Marlin or Wahoo. Might have to make a camping trip up your way to the point. Any good places to land?
Mark
P.S. Always looking for company out on the Big Blue.