Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone find a source for a different gasket for the 8" twist n seal hatches? I've tried many different lubricants on the seals, replaced the seals, loosened the hatch screws & retightened, etc. and each attempt works for a few hours at best. I'd like to try a round gasket before I break the damned hatch tab trying to get it open.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I replaced the gaskets and it was the same thing.
They were impossible to open. I picked up some
silicone spray at home depot and that fixed it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Spray silicone is the best lubricant for the hatch seals but you do need to reapply it reasonably regularly especially if you use your boat in salt water and hot sun. If the hinges get stiff I use a tiny amount of spray oil just to feee them up a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's not the gasket that is the problem. Your kayak is a piece of plastic that is going to warp in the sun over a period of time. That will put stress on the hatches making them hard to close. Have you noticed how once you get them closed they tend to settle down so they fit? The only solution is to remove the hatches and trim the hatch cutouts to fit the new configuration of your newly shaped hull :mrgreen:

If you don't want to go to all that work, keep the gaskets clean and lubed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:31 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Quote:
For your hatch, make sure your gasket is not twisted, has fresh silicone spray or [edit] silicone grease and use your fist to lower the high side as necessary.
8)

Last edited by Roadrunner on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:49 pm 
Site Admin

Don't use a petroleum based lube... that swells the o-ring and will damage it. Silicone is the key to success.

The t handle can not typically pull the hatch perfectly flat when closing. If concerned (cosmetic issue only) press closed with a palm.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the input, I'll try the silicone spray. I did have a feeling that the hull had somehow changed even though it's less than a year old and stored upside down.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Even the propellant in silicone spray can damage the seal, so we spray the sides of the hatch hole and wait a few seconds for it to evaporate before closing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:59 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

islandspeed2001 wrote:
It's not the gasket that is the problem.
Hatch seals are not symmetrical and sometimes get twisted. The composite picture below shows on the port (red), a seal that has twisted out of position.
This tends to bind that side causing it to hang up. Making sure your hatch seals are correctly positioned is the first step in correcting an uneven hatch.

Quote:
Your kayak is a piece of plastic that is going to warp in the sun over a period of time.
Interesting. I haven't seen this issue come up before. None of my Hobies over the past 13 years have suffered any twisting, warpage or lack of symmetry. Understandably the boats expand and contract with temperature and can dent with too much local pressure on the hull, especially in heat. But then, mine are stored inside usually and tend to be the lighter, cooler colors.

So while this may happen in some circumstances (as in your case), it's certainly not a foregone conclusion IMO. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner, it you think your plastic boats aren't changing their shape under the sun or in cold conditons you better rethink this. Most of this would not even be noticeable to the naked eye. Only your hatch would know :mrgreen: