Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had my first failure with a starport mount this weekend. Getting ready to go out and checking the boat over I noticed that the grey locking button seemed loose. On closer inspection it had no resistance and would slide back and forth (locking and unlocking) with very little pressure - low enough that a splash from a wave could easily force it to unlock. I planned to mount my gopro in there that day and I wasn't about to trust it and quickly replaced it with a new one. This one has been used about 8 times to hold a railblaza camera pole with a gopro on it so there has been very little wear and tear. There is a small plastic tab that is supposed to be keeping it locked and this had sheared off rendering the unit unusable. This seems to be flimsy construction and considering the $20 cost of these this one is going back for a refund.

I would really like to see a much more robust locking system on these or maybe an aluminum or stainless steel version of these starports - the concept is great but when everything relies on the shear strength of a small piece of plastic keeping them locked valuable gear is likely to go missing. Tethers are essential for any gear you have plugged in to starports.
This shows two starports - the top one is the failed unit - you can see the plastic tab has sheared off and the one below it is a brand new one with the locking tab still in place.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well that was quick ! I contacted the Railblaza company about it to let them know and they came straight back to me and asked if I had used any lubricant on it, which I had (I used a garage door lubricant that was supposedly safe on any surface) and it turns out that wasn't very smart as one of the ingredients is a petroleum based product and is harmful to the plastic used in the Railblaza products. They told me that out of all the starports sold only two others had been reported as failed and both had a petroleum based lubricant applied to them. So the product only failed because I applied that lubricant. Lesson learned - Don't use any lubricant on these especially if they have petroleum based ingredients!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Of course we must assume that you were supplied wsith a free replacement, and Railblaza are urgently modifying their pckaging matterial to warn others of the potential problem. Right?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

... better yet would be a change in materials to one that was forgiving of all types of lubricant

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tony - the starport itself is perfectly fine except for the locking slide and apparently I can get a replacement one from the manufacturer- negligible cost. I do think a warning on the packaging would be helpful.

Passwind - Railblaza do not consider they need to change the product at this stage but I think they will start cautioning users about the use of petroleum based products. As I mentioned before I would like to see them make a S/steel version of this product.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Many thanks AOY, I have just ordered a 2 pac of the star mounts, and from what I hear they are very good. I have also ordered the 600 and 150 booms to do my Go Pro 3 blacks as well. Anytime I service my Mirage drive, I use Lanox spray and Lanotec grease, http://www.lanotec.com.au/pages/products). Both consist of lanolin (Kiwis bath in it LOL), it's as good as gold. I will not use petroleum based products on my gear, especially rubber fins.

I hope your enjoying San Diego.

Cheers XD.

P.S. I do not work for, or have an association with, Lanotec products. I just buy em. :D

Last edited by xdcammer on Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a different problem:
Seems that the bolts must not be tightened strongly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

bravo, johnny; a man of few words!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A man of "Action"! :D

Bravo,

1. With only one bolt on each side of the Railmount, you need to use the spacers, (and just the right number of them) to achieve optimal compression. Equal compression and bolt alignment between sides is important too.

2. That angled area on the Aka is the worst place to install these, for the same reasons. I suggest you move them inward, to the flat section.

3. Your custom SS bars are awesome, but likely not the same OD as the Hobies TI Akas, which the Blaiza mounts seem to be designed for. Therefore they may never fit your bars like a glove, as intended. In my experience, any variation, (even in paint) effects the railmount's grip.

What we could really use is a 3-D printer template to turn out spacers and achieve a custom fit, anywhere on the boat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

xdcammer wrote:
Many thanks OOY, I have just ordered a 2 pac of the star mounts, and from what I hear they are very good. I have also ordered the 600 and 150 booms to do my Go Pro 3 blacks as well. Anytime I service my Mirage drive, I use Lanox spray and Lanotec grease, http://www.lanotec.com.au/pages/products). Both consist of lanolin (Kiwis bath in it LOL), it's as good as gold. I will not use petroleum based products on my gear, especially rubber fins.

I hope your enjoying San Diego.

Cheers XD.

P.S. I do not work for, or have an association with, Lanotec products. I just buy em. :D
xdcammer I just discovered Lanox myself last week amazing product ! I have written to the Railblaza people to see if they consider it a safe lubricant to use on startports. In fact my local Hobie dealer is now stocking the Lanox spray and using it on all their mirage drives and trailers. I haven't seen any negative reports on its use anywhere yet.

I love San Diego - its the 9th wonder of the world - shhh don't tell anyone ! :D