Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I got to booking at my rudder today while the yak was on the trailer. My rudder moves more to the right then it does to the left by a good bit. It doesn't seem to be an adjustment issue but I could be wrong. It feels like it hits full lock earlier when turning to the left. Is this normal? I would just swing it by the dealer but my dealer is about 2 hours away.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

BigRedObsession wrote:
I got to booking at my rudder today while the yak was on the trailer. My rudder moves more to the right then it does to the left by a good bit. It doesn't seem to be an adjustment issue but I could be wrong. It feels like it hits full lock earlier when turning to the left. Is this normal? I would just swing it by the dealer but my dealer is about 2 hours away.

Take the black cover off the rudder quadrant in the back of the PA. Then put the steering handle exactly in the center. Loosen the screws that hold the lines from the rudder control. Center the rudder and be sure the handle is still centered. Tighten the lines under the screw head with the lines tensionsd a bit. It may take a few tries to get them perfectly centered. See if this fixes it. It may even take a bit of bias on the steering knob to get equal travel to both sides. Better that so you have control both ways. Put the cover back on.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah tried that about 10 times. Even had someone hold each handle straight forward then I centered the steering gear and tightened the strings. I may be doing it wrong though......

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:20 pm 
Site Admin

BigRedObsession wrote:
Yeah tried that about 10 times. Even had someone hold each handle straight forward then I centered the steering gear and tightened the strings. I may be doing it wrong though......

The steering handle needs to be in the middle of it's throw (range of motion). That is not straight forward. It is to the right at 20 plus degrees. You can swing hard each way and then determine what is centered... Then adjust the lines at the rudder drum.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
BigRedObsession wrote:

The steering handle needs to be in the middle of it's throw (range of motion). That is not straight forward. It is to the right at 20 plus degrees. You can swing hard each way and then determine what is centered... Then adjust the lines at the rudder drum.

Cool, this is the answer I was looking for. I have both my handles straight forward.