Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I will be doing the "Statue Race" for the first time this year. I have been "buoy racing" for 14+ years but this will be my first distance race so I'm not sure if a distance race would be a good first race for a beginner or not. If you have a lot of experience on a Hobie, it might be OK. If you are new to sailing Hobies, I wouldn't recommend it (you would be a long way from "home" if you had any problems). That being said, we look forward to seeing out racing with us.

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jtbros wrote:
jim-doty wrote:
jtbros wrote:
When are regattas typically held also for H16s?

Here is a link to the Division 11 regatta schedule:

http://www.div11.hobieclass.com/default.asp?Page=7350

Jim

Thanks for the schedule I probably won't be in many this year but hopefully the next. How is the around Staten Island regatta or what regatta would you recommend as a beginner? The Staten Island one seems rather long but what do I know.

Well, did you work something out?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Haven't contacted him about price yet, but he emailed me yesterday saying he hasn't forgotten about me so that's good.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jtbros wrote:
Haven't contacted him about price yet, but he emailed me yesterday saying he hasn't forgotten about me so that's good.

Dude, don't let this one slip away. I had that happen. I drove 13 hours to look at a fresher boat. Found a local that had a Honor for sale. I waited one day to long. Got bought. It all worked out in the end. But don't chance it. There is somebody just like you who is looking also. Dont let them snipe it from you!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm going to try out other Hobie 16s on Long Island to get a taste of how I like it. Right now it seems like I only have 15 days this summer to sail it with work and 420 sailing. Is that a lot or only a little compared to the normal amount? The 1998 is still at the top of my list but I have to figure a way of getting to Jersey and who will be my crew or skipper. What's the usual age requirement for regattas?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Honestly. I solo my 16 the majority of the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah but you can't solo race it right? Cause jim wants me in those regattas for the better price and for the boat to be raced.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

jtbros wrote:
What's the usual age requirement for regattas?

No age requirement for regattas, minimum or maximum. Many of our (Division 11) regattas waive the entry fee for skippers who are under 21.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jtbros wrote:
Yeah but you can't solo race it right? Cause jim wants me in those regattas for the better price and for the boat to be raced.

Guess it depends on the rules. But I would imagine you can pick up some good looking girl who wants to go sailing or someone from around the regatta would go with you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmadge wrote:
No I think you should pretend your interested ,then go back to himming and hawing,then find another and start the post all over again.
Life is short Summer is shorter,first decide if you really are interested in buying a Hobie 16.

Yup I was just waiting for someone to say that so not unexpected at all. I'll just wait. I was supposed to go to buy it next weekend until I was told that I can't get it until I try out some of the ones on Long Island to see if I like it. Sorry for annoying you.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/boa/3875278291.html
He has the comptip and harnesses but the original mast was damaged but he still has it. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:59 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

jtbros wrote:
mmadge wrote:
No I think you should pretend your interested ,then go back to himming and hawing,then find another and start the post all over again.
Life is short Summer is shorter,first decide if you really are interested in buying a Hobie 16.

Yup I was just waiting for someone to say that so not unexpected at all. I'll just wait. I was supposed to go to buy it next weekend until I was told that I can't get it until I try out some of the ones on Long Island to see if I like it. Sorry for annoying you.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/boa/3875278291.html
He has the comptip and harnesses but the original mast was damaged but he still has it. Thoughts?

Just ignore Mike - he's a grumpy old man. Next thing you know, he'll tell you to get off his lawn.

The boat in the CL ad is older and it probably got flipped in a storm - thus the bent mast. What else got damaged?

The only thing it's got going for it is location and price. You have to decide if it's right. None if us can make that decision for you. Waffling back and forth is going to piss off sellers - and you'll end up not getting any boat.

Traveling to regattas will be difficult from Long Island. They just aren't there anymore - most of the activity is in North Jersey.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all the advice. I get what you're saying about why it may be broken in the storm.
Also a seller already was annoyed by me for my delayed reply which I couldn't do anything about because of what I'm relying on.
I'm going to see how it turns out with sailing next week and take it from there still most likely going with the '98 so long as it doesn't get sold in that time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Older yes ,grumpy,actually I am not near as grumpy now that I retired.I have to find something to bit.. about now that I can,t complain about work.
As you can probably guess I was not a salesman.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I ran into some attitude when I was looking........... got this reply from one guy "No soft spots. No repairs. No more pics. You should see any boat you are going to buy in person" He only sent a few pics, This response was in response to this question "Please send pictures of rudder assemblies. Are there any soft spots in hulls! Any repairs?"

Needless to say I did not buy from him. I did take his advice about looking, I drove down to the same area he was from (6 hr drive) only to get screwed, I saw an 82 Boomer that looked good, communication was not the greatest, Said he was not near the boat, across the bay, busy working, etc etc......... I chanced it and wasted 12 hours and alot of gas on nothing. But you do need to look at them. Any Seller that will not take the time and effort to supply you pictures and answer questions may not be worth asking, If you were an hour away, that is one thing, 6 hours or more, totally different.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7