Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi

I think I'm getting a cooper anchor, it looks like a great idea - a lightweight, nylon anchor. Does anyone have the smaller red anchor and can say it works well with the PA? I searched the PA forum and only found one person w/ the PA and he was using the 1kg one and thought the red one might be for a smaller Hobie. Another opinion would be great just in case - I'd love to get away with the smaller anchor...

(too many variables I think, the blue states it is for a PWC >3.5m; the PA is longer but lighter and lower and probably wouldn't catch as much wind...)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've been trying to find a source for the smaller red one here in the USA.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't know if they are in stores...? They have an international website that'll give you prices that include shipping to the US. To Canada I placed a note to them and heard within hours. Not cheap but the design seems awesome. Price though is why I'm fishing to see if someone has some experience with the red one, I can't really just try it out and return it if its not enough... :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use the blue 1kg one on my PA12 and it works great. I thought the smaller red one would struggle to hold the weight of a PA in a strong current so I went the blue.
I'm in Australia and would consider making a deal with a US based person for a postage trade. I'm looking at some gulp products and tackle webs without the huge postage costs. Perhaps someone would be interested in buying locally and posting to me, and of course in return I would buy the cooper anchor and post to you.
Please PM me if interested.

Sean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The only one they'll ship to the USA is the blue one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I wish they would find a US distributor - as I am interested in one too. With the way kayak fishing has exploded in the past couple years they are missing out on a growing market here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello!

Quick note, I would suggest contacting them through their website. I meant to reply earlier that Jon Cooper got back to me right away and I was in the midst of getting the blue one and mentioned I had a kayak and he suggested the red one for kayaks. I replied to confirm the size and weight of the PA and he still thought the smaller red one would work (as in I wouldn't be out in bad weather/windy conditions and if its used properly like the length x depth, etc). Anyway, I'm going for the red.

Tom, you may want to re-try the website - they were revamping it when I was looking (there were some pages I couldn't go back to) but its running now. I'm getting the red one in Canada and it's coming from their US based warehouse - it might be worthwhile trying again?

I think the red is $42 with shipping, US. Blue around $56. Again to Canada, reg mail, I think. Jon was very helpful - I think I was saying g'night when he was saying g'day :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Take a look at austin kayak. They have a claw anchor on site, same 2.2 lbs too.

The claws tend to lay over on their side and not dig well unless it's soft bottom. Any hand bottom and it just won't dig, might as well use 2.2 lbs of chain. You're going to get'the same result a dragging anchor.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been liking my Bruce anchor. Easy to get too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was just there. I cannot get anything other than the blue anchor to show available for shipping to the USA.

I'll scout around a bit more. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

same thing here in the UK blue only.

i have one on order for the Ti. as the folding one from the revo is not so great on the Ti
CC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

oK after a bit of research (that as usual finds CC as a bot of a plonker) we see that you can buy the blue Cooper here from http://cooperanchors.co.uk/ for £60. They look official importers but i am not sure or you can go to Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NYLON-COOPER- ... 3f257701f1 cooper anchors .com and get it for £37.58 including delivery.

Guss which one I went for?....yep. moral of the story ...check out the Bay first. :lol:

CC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

G,Day All

I use a Red Cooper Anchor on my PA 12, it holds well in sand, and as with all anchors, the longer the scope the better the holding power, I will be getting a couple of feet of small stainless steel chain which will provide even more holding power, the chain will be attached to the shaft at the lower attachment point using a shackle, the chain is then fixed to the top eye by a plastic cable tie, if the anchor gets fouled you pull hard to brake the cable tie and the force is then transfered to the lower attachment point and the anchor is then retrieved.

Happy days :D

Keevo52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tried out my red Cooper anchor and it worked like a charm. I watched it dig in just like the video from the website. I used 5' of smaller than suggested chain and only about 10’ of rope as it was fairly calm and I was shallow.

I was trying my self rescue getup and needed to be in deeper water so I turned the boat against the rope/anchor and started walking, I figured the anchor would maybe come undone but I didn't get far on that theory. I walked back to see what happened, if it came loose and dragged until diving in again but it had just spun and stayed put so I thought that was pretty good. I was in mud/sand.

What was nice was how light it was, no bruises from walking with it :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I ended up getting two of the smaller red ones. I think it will be more than fine for kayaks. You just have to get the scope right and all should be well.