Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: @#$%^& DAMMIT!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Lost my best rod and reel today due of course to my own carelessness. Set it down to dig out a new swim bait and must have bumped it with my foot. Why I hadn't taken more care in its placement I couldn't tell ya. Heard a soft splash and tried to get to it as it slowly sank. Managed to touch the very end of the rod butt as it slowly disappeared from view so that was nice. Marked with a way point but didn't have my mask or fins with me. Probably 10 feet of water or so. Dragged a treble hook around for quite a while but no luck. Shimano stradic reel and nice St. Croix rod gone due to my own stupidity. I hate the idea of using a rod leash. Seems like a saw a product out there that basically wraps around the rod blank and acts as a float. Anyone have any knowledge of this? I'm going to go cry now. Any help would be appreciated. Feel free to kick me a little, you can't make me feel any worse. :(

Post subject: Re: @#$%^& DAMMIT!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sorry for your loss. I feel your pain! I knocked a spinning rig into the Rappahannock River last year lost it in swift current. After that, I invested in some rod floats I picked up at Bass Pro Shops. I have not actually tested them, but I figure they will slow the sink rate enough for me to grab my rig if it goes in the water. I'm not a fan of leashes, so this was a good option. I don't find them to be in the way at all.

http://www.basspro.com/Blakemore-Rod-Floaters/product/16517/?cm_ven=bazaarvoice&cm_cat=RLP&cm_pla=16517&cm_ite=productname_link

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just ordered some. Too little too late but maybe it will help protect some of my other nice rigs. Still kicking myself in the ass.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Forgot to say thanks TDK. Appreciate the help and sympathy. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4yDcOgcqzs

Either rodbuilding.org or rodmaker magazine, produced by our own Tom Kirkman (TKR), had an article on making something remarkably like the product at the above link - but which could be stuffed into the butt end of the fishing rod. The getterback is only $20 and looks like it would do the trick albeit a bit more intrusively. I keep telling myself I'm gonna try the TKR system, but havent yet. Either one of these looks much better than leashes which get in the way, or foam sleeves which don't seem to work at all for me except for the smallest and lightest of rigs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A buddy of mine was using my Penn 975 and got hung up while we were fishing the Cape Fear River. I was finishing out my cast and going over to help him get it when I hear him say "$#!¥". I look over and don't see my rod. He had it laying on top of the kayak with his hand over the paddle thinking it was the rod and drifted back some and never realized it slowly slid in the water. I was lucky enough to snag the line with a circle hook. Amazed me. It also amazed me at how fast he got to the end of the line to bring the rod back in. We both got lucky that day. Haha. Sorry for your loss but I can completely sympathize with you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yeap, been there, done that. :?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Take a look at these rods that are made here in Jacksonville. They will actually float :!:

http://www.overboardfishingrods.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Been there, done that - last fall I lost a Kistler LTX w/Pflueger Patriarch XT after I bumped it and over it went. Kistler = "lighter than air"? it sank pretty quickly. $600 gone and the bad part is neither the rod or the reel is still in production so I can't easily replace it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry to hear you lost your setup. I did that also, and decided to get the rod floats. I can't stand the leashes on anything. I have dropped my robs twices since then and they work perfect. It will depend on how much weights on your rod setup. Like a catfish rig, not so much. Just yesterday I was bass fishing on wheeler and after releasing a bass my hand was wet and I went to pitch another cast and didn't release the line and everything went into the water. Saved again by the rod floaters. Asked My buddy if he got a picture of that and he said nope!! So it never happen..lol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have had rod floats for a while, but didnt use them much. After reading this I put them on alll my rods that I took out in a tourney and fished with them all day. They didnt bother me at all, I just had to make sure the overlap spot in the velcro was facing out so my line wouldnt catch on them....spinning rods.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Didn't like the velcro that came with the floats so went with small cable ties.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

basskicker wrote:
Didn't like the velcro that came with the floats so went with small cable ties.

I figured I would try those when the velco wore out.