Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TI in Peru
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was recently traveling in Peru and located a Hobie dealer with a new TI in Peru. The coast is mostly pretty rugged there without much protected water but there are places to go. The website of Nauti Peru is http://www.nautiperu.com/index.php. Jose has a restaurant and kite sailing school next to a new tourist hotel a couple hundred kilometers from Lima. The wind is pretty strong but steady and I brought in a little sail and it was quite exciting with the wind waves. The waters there have few boaters due to previous government disincentives on boat ownership but there is a small fishing industry. I was sorry to see how the wind piled up some jellyfish and I noticed that all the surfers I saw in March 2014 were in wetsuits as it was hard to be in the water without moving among the jellyfish. The water temperature there is pretty cool due to the Humboldt Current effect but I was fine with rashguard and windbreaker in the TI. He has another TI that's new for sale as well as some recreational Hobie cats. He was so kind to us that he let us take the boat out. I put our friend Pedro in the bow and my son Frank went out on the tramps and moved back and forth to stay upwind and we went out and plowed through the windwaves till they got cold. THe wind was about at 15-20 mph and the wind waves were a couple of feet so it was a wet ride. I dropped them off at shore and went back out. I rolled up the tramps onto the akas and went for it with slightly reduced sail and really flew that boat. Very fun. Usually I go in when the kiteboarders come out because the wind is so strong but here i had only that afternoon. I also have an AI at home and must say that soloing the TI is really fun as it is a big strong fast boat. I was happy to see the boat improved so well with the dreaded tramps rolled up. Wish I'd had Bob Conlon's spray skirts on the bow- oh well. Jose is interested in renting to tourists so if you have a chance check out their operation.