Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looking forward to the expert advice on this forum. What is the secret to tacking the Hobie Wave. Unless I am very lucky, I seem to stall and have to move the tiller bar back and forth to get my bow across the wind. Over the weekend, was in 15MPH winds on a smaller lake having a blast, could jibe without issue, tacking was a struggle. Hobie Wave 2003, original rudders, sail is crisp. So what am I doing wrong or need to understand? One more question, the mast ball on the front crossbar become lose and I hand tighten. Is this something that needs to be epoxied so not to unscrew?
Thanks all - absolutely love my Hobie Wave and this forum. PS tried to search subject and got tired of hearing about the Jip pros and cons.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You may have to rake the mast differently. You've got it way back? Search the forum for "mast rake tacking". The mast ball just threads on and will have to be replaced so gluing is a no-no. Check the threads to see if they are wallowed out.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi GBrooks,
I suspect that you are making the same mistake that I made when I moved from mono-hull to cat sailing. Once I read how to correct my mistake, tacking became much, much easier, although I still have to stay conscious of it at this point.

Cats don't spin on a dime like mono-hulls with centerboards. So if you throw the tiller hard over to start your tack, it acts like a brake and you stall. Try changing your tack by beginning with a much more gradual turn. Get as much speed as you can first, sheeted in as much as the wind will safely allow and then gradually begin to turn a bit sharper as the turn progresses.

It's not hard but it takes some practice to make it routine and will still be a challenge at times like when stronger waves will also try slow you down while you move through irons.

Also, if all else fails, you can flip the tiller over and hold the sail over with your arm to let the wind push you backwards and turn you into your new tack. After you get over the shame of having to move backwards, it looks a bit more graceful than flailing the rudder back and forth.

I'm no expert and others will chime in but as a new guy here myself, I thought 'd at least try to share what I'm learning.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

As posted above the gradual turn into the wind helps a lot, but also getting a jib sail brings the bow around with no problem.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well here we go ... opinions are like a#$holes, everybody's got one. I'm guessing you are trying to tack from a reach to a reach which is difficult on any catamaran and really difficult for the Wave 'cause it is light. You need some 1/2" VHS tape about three feet long taped to each bridle wire about 18" down from where they join at the forestay adjuster. When the leeward tape is pointing down the back of the sail you are close hauled. Once you're at full speed close hauled push the tiller over, gently, and ease out about four feet of mainsheet. Keep the turn going while you cross under the sail and then look at the (new) leeward bridle tape when it is pointing down the back of the sail, on the new tack, sheet the main back in and straighten the rudders. Try it a couple of dozen times and it gets easy.

Also, yeah epoxy the ball on. If you really have to get it off in the future some vice grips will do it. Or maybe a pipe wrench. A couple of minor scratches aren't going to hurt anything.

I had a great day sailing. I hope you did too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

LOL the book just says "gradual turn into the wind" think that will do it for you, easy right. 8) I also had a Hobie day cheers.