Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Learning repairs
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I learned all sorts of skills when I bought a motorcycle. Looks like I'm going to do the same with my PA14. So far, the PA repairs have been easier, at least.

Got to the lake today, discovered that on the drive there the criss-cross shock cord covering the rear cargo area had broken off right at one of the end hooks. The end was very ragged, and it looked like a job best done with a clean edge, so I just made do until I got home. But fixing it was as easy as I expected. Cut the edge clean and pushed it through the hook, piece of cake. Cut off the excess with a hot knife (got to use my propane torch, woot!) and it looks factory new.

While out on the water I had a more serious issue. The water was clear, but the wind today had made it choppy, so I couldn't see an obstruction near the surface in front of me. Probably a log. It hit one of the flippers, and it was obvious right away that something was wrong. Pulled the drive out, and sure enough, one flipper was bent at a sharp angle about 2" from the end. Now, I don't know if I'd read about this here, or remembered my dealer telling me of this happening to him, but whichever, I knew it was a reparable problem. The mast was still straight, but the flipper looked as if it had been pulled down, then sideways, then let go - the mast was actually poking through the rubber of the fin.

The little brass screw at the top of the fin looked like the only likely option, so I loosened it up until I was able to pull the fin down the mast and slip the mast back into its proper channel in the fin. Snugged up the screw again, and was back in business. I have a small hole in the fin where the mast poked out, but that doesn't even count as a cosmetic problem, since it's underwater.

Oh, the only actual bad part of the day - didn't catch any fish. But that's more or less standard for me.

Post subject: Re: Learning repairs
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had a similar situation happen with my turbo fins once...I had stopped pedaling to stow my rods and gear to head back to the landing and the waves drifted me close to an oyster bar - a wave picked me up and set me down on top of these oysters and the fins were down at the time - one mast ended up poking out of the fin, about three inches up from the bottom. I had to do a quick disassemble and fix it on the water before getting underway.

Now, I always try to keep the fins against the hull or pull the drive altogether...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You will find that most repairs/upkeep on a Hobie doesn't require a rocket scientist :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow I didn't realize so much could go wrong while on the water. What tools would anyone recommend to keep on hand while out in the water to be able to make emergency repairs so one doesn't get stranded or forced to use just the paddle so far from shore? I usually keep a toolbox in my truck for emergencies and I would like to do the same with my Hobie.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

They do sell a repair kit that comes with one fin and tools to repair in the field.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mibrahim wrote:
Wow I didn't realize so much could go wrong while on the water. What tools would anyone recommend to keep on hand while out in the water to be able to make emergency repairs so one doesn't get stranded or forced to use just the paddle so far from shore? I usually keep a toolbox in my truck for emergencies and I would like to do the same with my Hobie.

I'm a noob in general, but so far the only on-the-water problem I've had needed only a good needle-nose pliers, which I had in my fishing kit. The brass nut that I had to loosen was tight enough that I might not have been able to do it with just my bare fingers. The rest - pulling the fin down so it would go back on the mast - was just a matter of muscles.

Overall, it doesn't seem like there's a lot that can go wrong on a kayak, mechanically. Rudder or drive damage is about it, and so long as you've got your paddle you should be at worst inconvenienced.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Emergency repair kit. Gorilla tape,4way screwdriver,pliers,and adjustable wrench.
I bent a mast once while on the water, hit a stump. Pulled the drive and pulled on mast enough to straighten it. Was bent bad enough that the drive would not go back and forth both ways.