Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BittyBit Afraidy Cat
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Greetings-
Was out on the Bitty Kitty today - absolutely perfect conditions! Wind high, maybe 15+ mph or more... and I am embarrassed to admit it, but I was skittish and came back in after an hour.

I was sitting way back, practically under the tiller arm, but I still felt that she could pitchpole at any moment, and I got all afraidy cat of my Bitty Kitty.

I did not have the Jib up, as usual when I'm solo - which is almost always. Anyway, just wondering whether other Solo Wavers experience the same thing or whether it's a case of the 52yr old lady just getting timid. I weigh 145lbs, and it just feels as if I try to sheet her in to fly or just gain speed, I'm going to nosedive.

This is not my first ride on a boat - years ago I flew a 16 with ease and confidence, perhaps the care-freedom of youth, perhaps because I had 2 male friends that did the jib and moved their butts appropriately (heh heh). This is my 2nd season on the Kitty, and I did put her over last year, but no real problem with that. I have had opportunity to share with a fellow sailor - he has a 16 and is usually too timid to go out on his own, but he did go with me on a night sail.

Am I just a scared old lady, or is there something I should be doing different to prevent a nosedive crash.
If anyone has any advice or support, it is greatly appreciated.

It is very cloudy here tonight, but good wishes to all those with opportunity to sail tonight under that huge full moon!

NetraLee

Post subject: Re: BittyBit Afraidy Cat
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds to me like you're having fun!

Don't be too afraid of letting the bows go under a bit. They do that. Once in a while, they may really dig in, and the boat stops, tries to stand up on its nose, then falls back down and goes on.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Okay - and after checking wind reports, it really was pretty windy, even for a smaller cat.

Getting ready to make the husband some breakfast and pack myself back to the water... and wind conditions look pretty similar.

Thanks!

NetraLee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NetraLee wrote:
I was sitting way back, practically under the tiller arm, but I still felt that she could pitchpole at any moment, and I got all afraidy cat of my Bitty Kitty.

I did not have the Jib up, as usual when I'm solo - which is almost always. Anyway, just wondering whether other Solo Wavers experience the same thing or whether it's a case of the 52yr old lady just getting timid. I weigh 145lbs, and it just feels as if I try to sheet her in to fly or just gain speed, I'm going to nosedive.

I sit way back under the tiller arm & it helps with the nosedive, but in big wind sometimes you can not stop the nosedive. (see videos)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVG8MHtkzuk[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvqwipo0qUE[/youtube]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

16's like to pitchpole, not Waves. I like to joke that a Wave "pitches" but doesn't "pole". As the other responders said, get as far back as you can, slide your feet under the hiking straps, and hike out if needed. I've yet to have anything bad happen on a Wave and I'm sailing on the open waters of Lake Erie.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks to you all.
I think I just got a bit of the jitters...
And I do recall a pitch being quite slow.
So, I'm back to the water - thank you so much for the support. It is very much appreciated!
... and as an added note, keep those videos coming! They keep me happy through the long, cold winter! And they get me motivated as I get ready to head to the lake!

NetraLee & the BittyKitty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

As a a comfortable sailor but new Wave owner, I will share with you that I found myself a bit cautions this weekend as well as it was my first chance to really bomb around in it solo. Saturday started quiet then I had a nice 13-15 knots for about an hour but is was gusting closer to 20. Not extreme by any means but I think any time you are testing out a new boat or anytime you push yourself to a new level, most peoples natural reaction is for caution until you get the feel of the new situation. Human nature for 'most' of us.

Once I got more comfortable with how the boat reacts and feels in gusts (pretty forgiving actually) I started pushing my comfort zone had had the front end dig in a few times to the point it acted as a big brake as I tried to find that sweet spot of speed verses submarining. I was used to seeing my bow go under water from the days of surfing my sea kayak so it wasn't as alien a feeling as it might have been for you. Still pretty breathtaking that first time though.

Actually my only near swim was on a gybe during a gust period. I should have depowered a bit and waited out the gust but I was approaching the shore and I was in the "let's test this baby out" mode (aka, getting cocky) by that point. It was a bit of a violent reaction that almost sent me rolling right off the tramp but she leveled out again quickly. The next few were a bit prettier.

Glad to hear you're having fun. I'm having a blast and my wife is happy enjoying the flipside. Which would be lounging on the tramp while we cruise along in a light breeze. Such a versatile boat. Loving it!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The simple things are the most important.

I realized this (again) when I was reminded about the downhaul. Once I took care of that, the boat performed MUCH better, I am more confident and was able to enjoy both a bit of a fly as well as a lounge-about later in the day. Amazing... just shows the little things ARE the big things.
As always, thanks to everyone for support & assist.

NetraLee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here is my experience with nosediving from last Friday.

I guess was testing the limits of the boat and the sailors, me and my wife, when the wind was consistently over 25 mph, with gusts up 36 mph, according to the NOAA records for the lake. When riding together, we had just one minor pitchpole. When I was then sailing solo, the leeward hull went under quite a few times usually with no other effect than slowing me down; sometimes I just had to release the main a little or turn to the wind. But I did pitchpole 3-4 times. The last time rather badly and I damaged the tiller arm. When nosediving I was holding on to the tiller crossbar and I pulled out and lost the tiller arm cap. That was the end of the ride that day, I had to sail back controlling just one rudder at a time. Not much fun. Now the part has been ordered and I should be back on the water soon.

I wonder if other people could comment on what is the wind speed limit beyond which the Wave should not be taken out. I weight 155 pounds. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

psail wrote:
Here is my experience with nosediving from last Friday.

I guess was testing the limits of the boat and the sailors, me and my wife, when the wind was consistently over 25 mph, with gusts up 36 mph, according to the NOAA records for the lake. When riding together, we had just one minor pitchpole. When I was then sailing solo, the leeward hull went under quite a few times usually with no other effect than slowing me down; sometimes I just had to release the main a little or turn to the wind. But I did pitchpole 3-4 times. The last time rather badly and I damaged the tiller arm. When nosediving I was holding on to the tiller crossbar and I pulled out and lost the tiller arm cap. That was the end of the ride that day, I had to sail back controlling just one rudder at a time. Not much fun. Now the part has been ordered and I should be back on the water soon.

I wonder if other people could comment on what is the wind speed limit beyond which the Wave should not be taken out. I weight 155 pounds. Thanks.

I'm 185 lbs & like the wind at 20 to 25 mph on my Wave. I have had it out in wind gusting to 45 mph but do not recommend it.