Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Somebody 'borrowed' the hardware off the end of my main halyard.

I know I need the Ring (part 61290021), and the Twist Shackle (part 60670000), but how do I attach the Ring to the end of the Halyard line?

Bowline?, or is there another piece of hardware that goes between the ring and the line?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There should be a small "inner" ring that is on the edge of the halyard ring opposite of the twist shackle. You run the halyard through the "inner" ring and tie a low profile stopper knot in the end of the halyard. I hope my description makes sense. This is how it is set up on my '82 H18.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nick's explaination is for the Aussie halyard rings. The stock Hobie setup (at least up to my '80 model - may have changed since then) is the separate ring and shackle, which does not have the small inner ring.

With the Hobie ring, yes, you just tie the halyard directly to the ring with a low-profile knot. The rigging manual recommends a simple over-hand knot, with a second overhand knot in the trailing end, to keep it from pulling through (they use this knot to attach the trap dogbones too). After tying this knot, you will notice that one side of the ring is noticeably "lower profile" than the other - make sure this "lower" side faces towards the mast when attaching the twist shackle to the sail.

If you need a new ring and shackle anyway, you might just want to get the Aussie ring instead (includes twist-shackle welded to the ring), and rig as Nick explained. Cost is probably pretty similar. I've never used one, but they supposedly make it much easier to hook/unhook the halyard.

Conesus Lake, NY
1976 Hobie 14

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Nick and Bill. I understand this now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had issues with hooking and unhooking the ring and finally tied a bowline knot instead of whatever was on there. I saw in a close up of my Hobie "how to" sail book and had a big eureka. No problems ever since. Never noticed any profile to the ring itself. One other tip- we always turn the mast to the port side to slip the ring on or off at the critical moment. The bowline works good but I see it is taking a beating as it inches by the release mechanism- keep an eye if you use it.