Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I know there are clubs for Island boats and fishing kayaks, but are there clubs for Hobie Mirage Inflatables?

My guess is that owners would enjoy sailing and kayaking with other Hobie Mirage Inflatable boats as a group. They may not be able to keep up with Island boats in terms of sailing performance, but that wouldn't matter if you were sailing along with other Inflatables with the Sail Kit,

The Inflatables are unique in that they don't need either a trailer or someone rigorous enough to singlehand one off of a car or truck roof. Portage might be easier too in river running.

Given that they fold up into a suitcase, they are also suitable for RV'ers and people who can't store a hard-shell kayak or a trailer.

John

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

johnmcneely wrote:
I know there are clubs for Island boats and fishing kayaks, but are there clubs for Hobie Mirage Inflatables?

It's a nice idea, but I suspect geography is against you. You'd need a group (2 or more) users of inflatables within the same kayaking area. I don't know how often that happens.

I have a Hobie inflatable which I bought a year ago when the chance of a used one came up. I have so far never used it because I don't have a car (something I hope to rectify it in the near future). I'd be surprised if there's another Hobie inflatable within 100 miles of me. (And 100 miles on British roads isn't fun.)

Maybe if you keep bumping this thread, or post your own approximate location, you might make contact with others near you. Good luck.

Mary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for replying Mary. I checked with the local Hobie dealers and she told me that in the last few seasons she has sold 30 of the inflatalbes. I didn't get a breakdown of the sizes: 9, 12, and 14-ft. She said she hadn't sold many sail kits with them.

I am in a local Hobie Mirage Island club (Tandem Island and Adventure Island) called FRIO (Front Range Island Owners http://frio.vze.com). It's charter says that association with the club is for any brand or type of sailing kayak. Hobie's fishing kayaks can get a sail kit where the mast is unstayed. For the inflatables, the mast has a forestay and two side stays built into the sail itself. Although these are smaller sails (20.25 sq-ft) and can't compete with the sails on the Adventure Island (55 sq ft) or Tandem Island (90 sq-ft.), the Hobie Mirage Inflatables (HMIs) could sail along with each other.

John

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any Mirage Inflatable owners in Michigan?

DMF