Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CA - Tahoe, Ca/Nv
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Anyone know of any good places to sail on Lake Tahoe? I mainly go to South Lake side of the Lake. I've put in at Cave Rock, but I think that there has got to be an easier place to launch. Are there any places where you can store your boat on a beach?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Kings Beach baby. Super easy launch, beach is right next to the ramp, you can walk it over to the beach and rig it - and you can leave it there and grab some food if you're waiting for a bit more wind.

Sand harbor is ok too...

Course those are both opposite of where you were talking about =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Echo Licinius - Kings Beach is just too easy not to go there. I've been over to Sand Harbor from the water, but have never launched from there. Sand Harbor is a great place to sail though.
My son and I are heading up the "hill" Sunday. We're thinking about trying out Donner rather than making the trip all the way into Kings Beach. I have a local friend who sailed his hobie on donner while he was building homes there. He says it's pretty good and wind is fairly consistent - until evening when it dies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I too may be up at donner on Sunday... I really need to work on my tacking, and that's the place to do it, seeing as you have to about every three-four minutes going upwind =).

is me if I'm up there (my g/f's grandparents have a house on the lake, so I frequent it often =) ...).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

what's the best place to launch? I know there's a ramp at the west end, but I was thinking about using my dollies and putting in at the east end. Is that possible? I guess another option would be the west end beach area.
Sorry I don't have a pic of the boat. We're on an older ('75) h-16 with basic white sails in need of repairs (yellow pontoons). Doesn't look like your sweet ride. :) Will keep an eye out for you.
BTW - my name is Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I used the ramp at the west end in the early morning (no wind in the least) and got pulled over to a dock across the lake, but the east end beach would probably be much easier you have dollies. I haven't been down there for a couple years though so they might have changed things, but thats where they used to (still do?) have the regatta.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My son, his friend and I will definitely be on Donner Sunday. When does the wind pick up there?
We went out on Rollins Lake again yesterday eve as we've been told the wind "arrives" around 5:00 - 5:30. We got there about 6:00. Everything went wrong. As I did not take down the rig on our last outing, the breakdown was not done as I do and finding everything (read proper shackles and pins) was a nightmare. Then, I dropped the forestay shackle in the water. :shock: OK, I've got another one in the tool box. Murphy was our best friend - everything that could go wrong, did. By the time we were actually sailing (now after 7:00 - ack), the wind had died completely. We made a circle about 50 yds offshore, returned to the dock and packed up while dusk was settling in. Home and eating dinner at Total Bust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ugh, sounds like that was a royal pain - I'm not sure what the wind is supposed to be looking like tomorrow, but it usually picks up early afternoon (1-2ish, dies off later around 5:30-6, maybe a bit later). But ya'kno how weather in the sierra's is, noone could really say how it'll go =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, we sailed Donner yesterday afternoon following our comedy of errors getting rigged again. We switched sails after doing a repair to the clew of the jib (I had to re-rivet the clew plates onto the sail) which created a bit different set up at the tack point. Anyway, we got out on the water around 2:00 and spent the rest of the afternoon gybing down the lake then tacking back up. We had 5-8 kts wind and it was great. Well, really good anyway. Not enough to be "flying a hull", but plenty to fill the sails and get a good clip going. My son finally got his first sailing lesson, and loved it! We had a fantastic time; even if I did leave my dollies at the east end ramp. :( Pizza and a Tahoe Red Ale at Zornas following, made a perfect day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ParleyII wrote:
Well, we sailed Donner yesterday afternoon following our comedy of errors getting rigged again. We switched sails after doing a repair to the clew of the jib (I had to re-rivet the clew plates onto the sail) which created a bit different set up at the tack point. Anyway, we got out on the water around 2:00 and spent the rest of the afternoon gybing down the lake then tacking back up. We had 5-8 kts wind and it was great. Well, really good anyway. Not enough to be "flying a hull", but plenty to fill the sails and get a good clip going. My son finally got his first sailing lesson, and loved it! We had a fantastic time; even if I did leave my dollies at the east end ramp. :( Pizza and a Tahoe Red Ale at Zornas following, made a perfect day.

Yeah, I saw you guys out there from the shore at least (well, I'm guessing I did, white sails + yellow hulls), I didn't get to take out my boat since I'm still waiting on a part that was supposed to show up Friday. Glad you had a good time!

mmmm Tahoe Red. One of my all-time favs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, that was us. If you are still up there and the duy with the h-14 didn't take them, my dollies are sitting by the garbage can next to the ramp. Go pick 'em up if you don't already have some. I'm not going back up to retrieve them till the weekend and I doubt they would still be there then. We'll be back up sometime over this coming holiday weekend, not sure what day yet.

what part are you waiting on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Replacement block for the jib car, needless to say it came in - I was out there yesterday, good gusts, reaaaaaly shifty, it was much better down towards the east end and the middle, the west end was rather finicky, flew a hull a couple times in some big gusts, my girlfriend started screaming which I found hilarious =). Had to go back in around 330 for dinner though and didn't make it back out after that. I'm feeling much better with my tacks than I have the past few times I've been out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Oh that was you. Nice boat!! My son was asking what year it is?
We saw you toward the west end while all three of us were becalmed (us two hobies and the force 5, or whatever that was). I was on the yellow hull/white sail boat with my son and his two friends.
Get this: my dollies were still at the ramp. They are now back home. Couldn't believe it!! :shock:
The winds were pretty good yesterday down at the east end. Although we did not "fly" a hull, we did get one lifted a few times. That surprised me as I had close to 700 lbs on the boat (way overloaded).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks! Its an 84, got it about two months ago, replaced all the lines and the tramp, a few blocks and its in awesome shape. I've been having a blast whenever I can take it out. Good deal with the dollies!

My buddy went up to kings beach with his 18 yesterday and said there wasn't even a breeze to speak of, so I guess we made a good call =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I may have seen him on his way out (white hulls?). We were coming in and passed each other waving.
Very nice job with your boat. She looks almost new. We'll be back up the weekend of the 16th. This time we're going to try and make a day of it on the beach with some friends.