Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SLOW LEAKS IN INFLATABLE
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi there haven't been on in a long time. Got my new/used -is12 inflatable in Feb injured my knee had surgery in May and haven't used it yet! But i digress. While i was out of action i had my Hobie pumped up in my garage on stand. After 4-5 days i started to notice wrinkles in the port side tube of my boat. I let it go to watch it. Slowly it got progressively worse. After 10 days the wrinkles were obvious, about an inch wide now and ran about a foot and half along the middle of the boat. After two weeks it was out right soft on the port side. I need to say the Starboard side was solid didn't leak a bit.

Now i purchased this used from a dealer in Nor. Cal (nameless at this point). I did not put this in the water. I purchased in Feb, had knee issues, surgery and was finally able to bring it back to the dealer never having used the boat.

The dealer said they did a leak test and there was no leak on the outside. They then said they inflated for 6 days with no issues. That is not correct. I know that because i kept this boat inflated on stand for a month. During that time i had to repump the port side tube 3 times.

I did purchase the Hobie used, but had they told me there was a slow leak and we'll sell you this i wouldn't have purchased it, at all! My reckoning tells me that this slow leak will get worse! And that is the issue. What happens after i start using it, stress wherever this slow leak is more and it gets progressively worse.?!

The dealer is standing pat and has copied a Hobie employee on his email saying there is nothing wrong with the boat. I cannot disagree more. The dealer is saying that he will take the boat back and give 80% of my money back.

I want to get on the water but am trapped here. I keep the boat, refill a slow leak that MIGHT get worse or lose 20% on my purchase price. Again i never had this boat on the water.

i'm not sure how to handle this situation and would like any input anyone can provide this is my first kayak, my first Hobie and not a pleasant experience right now. I definitely will get another Hobie inflatable mirage that's my boat of choice.

Thanks, Beachpotato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Okay i wanted to update the forum site on my earlier email as the Hobie employee came in and saved the day. He agreed to make up the difference in what the owner of dealership said he would return so i would get a 100% refund. Thank you Hobie. Since this IS the type craft i want i've offered to purchase a brand new one is12, and use the credit.

So i appreciate the quick response by Hobie and they've impressed me with their stance on their products, and that's why i will purchase another one!

Beachpotato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Glad for the positive outcome to your situation!

Funny, my port pontoon has always been a slow-leaker also. Never thought much of it since I only notice it after a few days if I leave the boat inflated to work on it.

Never seemed a problem since I'm not on the water for more than a few hours at a time & then deflate the boat anyway.

Curious.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Picked up my new IS-12 and ready to go. Gas Yakker, thanks for comment. My thought was that if there is a leak (not micro leaks) that inflating and using as it is supposed to that eventually that particular hole or leak was not going to get any smaller or better. In fact with use and stretching the hole no matter how small would get worse. The particular problem on the inflatable i had was they could not find the leak, thinking perhaps it was inside the boat? Anyway i just couldn't understand how a hole would not get larger. Just my laypersons thinking.

Again i want to thank the Hobie rep that stepped in helped out. I bought my brand new Hobie Is-12.

Good fishing, now i can complete my design and put into use (hopefully :?: ) a downrigger for lake trolling, use a 3 pound ball weight-for both anchor and trolling. When i get it on the water and try it out i'll let you know how it works.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had a slow leak in my right tube on my i12, could not find the leak, fixed the slow leak with ToobSeal, it fixed the leak. Take care-------Frank