Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looking for some help from Universal cart users - I've been using a C-Tug cart to get my Outback to and from my truck. The C-Tug is what I used on my pre-Hobie yaks and it has been durable and worked well on the other yaks. It does present an issue on the Outback in that it doesn't conform very well to the hull shape which in turn causes misalignment and eventual loosening of the strap and slippage. Does anybody have any experience with Hobie's Universal kayak cart (Part #80041) on an Outback? I am looking at this cart because I have the Lowrance scupper-mounted transducer in one of the tank well's scuppers. The Universal cart appears to have some thing similar to pool noodle on the bunks which meet the hull and conform to the hull. With a strap cinched down very tight, do the padded bunks inhibit slippage? Also, will it disassemble enough to fit in the bow hatch? Will it accept the solid foam tires? Love my Outback! Really appreciate any response about this. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You might want to check this out:

go to http://www.palmettokayakfishing.com , click on "blog" and scroll down to the discussion of his DIY kayak cart.

I made the PVC version and am impressed! :D

Last edited by FishIt on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought the C-tug cart after using the Hobie Trax 2 cart...#80044101.....it was a real pain to turn the kayak 90 degrees to insert the cart and the wheels are subject to puncture.
IMO the C-tug weakness is the strap as you noted....so, I changed the strap to this one....http://www.kayakshed.com/nrs/1-5-wide-straps
I used the 1.5" wide x 9 feet long strap.....simply cut it to duplicate the old strap length, install the new strap....the NRS strap buckle will not slip and for $10.00 is a major improvement :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you Fishlt, I've been following the PKF blog for quite a while and Paul has created some really nice DIY articles. I just don't want to build a cart for time reasons now. Maybe next winter if I can't find a suitable cart this season I might build one. I've done quite a bit of reading about carts for Hobies on various blogs and, like Paul's cart, there are several ingenious designs out there.

Dr.SteelheadCathcher, The Trax series are out because of the scupper mounted transducer and, based upon your assessment, I'm glad I'm using that rear scupper. But the real issue seems to me to be the lack of conformity of the C-Tug to the underside of the Outback. The strap has worked OK when it is cinched down on my other yaks. Did you find the buckle on the C-Tug to be an issue? Or is the material more "grabby" on the straps from the Kayak Shed? I still think I'm more concerned about matching the shape of the hull to a cart. Maybe the straps you recommend married to Hobie's Universal cart? Thank you very much for the reference to the straps and your experience with the Trax cart. Still interested in hearing about the Universal cart from Hobie.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I located the C-tug cart under the seat area and fed the straps under the carrying handles......the C-tug pads were basically "flat" and the Outback rested just fine.
The buckle on the NRS strap will not slip as the C-tug strap will do.....I tried several ways to secure it and was just a "pita".....since the NRS buckle is a quick snug/release, it works so much better....it's also a much thicker webbing material.
IMO, the C-tug is a good cart for an Outback.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice. Putting the straps thru the side handles with the NRS straps sounds like the solution. I always had the cart further back. Thanks very much; I'm going to order the 9' strap today.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have used a c-tug for years. The first thing I did was to replace the strap and the buckle. The buckle I have used for many years is the sort you find on e.g. Rucksack waist belts - snaps together with a "click in and lock" mechanism but also allows the length of the strap to be adjusted. If you make this simple and cheap mod to your c-tug you will find that even a fully loaded double being towed across soft sand will not cause the strap to pull through.

The other advantages of the c-tug are worth mentioning again: no rust (plastic); easy loading (via the tripod stand); easy to disassemble, stow, reassemble; several wheel options; excellent after sales service (especially where I live) and made in New Zealand (wonder if that has anything to do with it).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Do you all still stand by the c-tug for the Outback with 3rd party straps?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My C-Tug with the NRS strap has made all the difference when carting my Outback to and from launch points. Very happy with the set up.