Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2009 versus 2012 outback
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I noticed that the body of the 2009 outback is different than the 2012. The 2009 does not appear as stable- not bad, but not as stable as the new ones. When did they change the body style?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the "older model" Outback and then got a 2012 "upgrade". There are things I really like about the 2012 compared to the (in your case) 2009 model, but many things I do not like about it as well.

In the old one, I could not turn around to see behind me (it was "tipsy" and my balance is not so good), but the 2012 model lets me turn around and the primary stability is really great.

I could still use the back hatch on the old model and could reach it from my seat, but the back hatch on the 2012 model is just for access to the back steering area and no good for our use while on the water.

The old model turned in a much tighter circle than the new one and that is a problem with the newer model. Associated with that is the ability to move (with the Mirage drive) hands free to eat or fish or whatever, which was possible with the old model, but does not work with the new one. You left hand has to stay on the steering lever to keep going straight with the 2012 model, so it is definitely not "hands free". I could not understand other people saying the Outback was not hands free until I got my new one.

The problems come from there being no (or very little) sideways resistance along the whole length of the hull until you come to the vertical section at the very front. Even after I put in the larger rudder (yes, it did help some), it became obvious that the two places that affected steering were 12 feet apart and that make for a turning radius on a circle that has a chord of 12 feet (not very good) and also make it almost impossible to keep tracking straight because even a tiny bit of wind, or current, or even itty bitty waves, moves the bow off track and keeps it moving more off track.

Now surfing in to the beach, even in small waves is pretty tenuous with both models, again, because of the vertical bow down in the water, but the new one is more difficult to handle. It is a joke that there is a sand magnet in the bow of the Outback when you try to surf in, and it creates big problems. If you can keep the bow out of the water (like when I carried a large full cooler behind me and did not put anything in the large bow hatch area), the 2012 Outback tracked much better and also was easier to come in through two to three foot surf after fishing out in the Atlantic Ocean.

Do not get me started on that twist and stow rudder. In the weeds on the flats it is terrible. The old straight up and down rudder was much better.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Turn your rear hatch into a battery compartment. You can keep it in the gear bucket to help protect it and run the wires through it. That's about the only thing that hatch is good for...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Captain Yak wrote:
Turn your rear hatch into a battery compartment. You can keep it in the gear bucket to help protect it and run the wires through it. That's about the only thing that hatch is good for...

Truth!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

photo01a wrote:
You left hand has to stay on the steering lever to keep going straight with the 2012 model, so it is definitely not "hands free". I could not understand other people saying the Outback was not hands free until I got my new one.

Interesting, I have the same problem with the Revo11, even after the big rudder upgrade.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jcanracer wrote:
photo01a wrote:
You left hand has to stay on the steering lever to keep going straight with the 2012 model, so it is definitely not "hands free". I could not understand other people saying the Outback was not hands free until I got my new one.

Interesting, I have the same problem with the Revo11, even after the big rudder upgrade.

The shorter Revo 11 will have the same problem with the same verticle area on the bow being more significant than on the longer Revo that had more "in the water" length for the rudder to work with (or against - depends on how you look at it). It is a shame nobody noticed that before they made the mold. I even considered cutting off the lower front of my Outback and plastic welding on a flatter bow area so that there was not that verticle down in the water part that is screwing up an otherwise super kayak. I have designed something else to correcdt the problem, but can not test it until I can find someone in my area with a good band saw so that I can cut some plastic.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tighten up the steering lines on the Outback and you can just turn it and it will stay there while you pedal, never had that problem that i needed to always have a hand on the steering .

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

cnnashman wrote:
Tighten up the steering lines on the Outback and you can just turn it and it will stay there while you pedal, never had that problem that i needed to always have a hand on the steering .

Yeah, I never had the problem with the pre-2012 models. Read back a bit and you will see that your message does not say what year Outback you have and why that is very important. Yes, I could go straight for a long time in my older Outback (but I am repeating myself, right?). And my steering lines are tight and even rubbing against the hull in the back (just noticed that - so may be another problem with the newer Outbacks).