Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another DIY PVC Cart
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone. First, I want to thank the folks who posted their DYI cart designs, which inspired me to do the same. I too was thinking about getting a Pro Angler but I was surprised of the price of the Hobie cart. Buying four tires for my car was cheaper. I went ahead and purchase the 3/4" axle from wheeleez since it fits inside 3/4" PVC pipe without a need for a bushing or reducer. At 28.5" in length, I was going to cut the length but the current design (for 26 cm Foam "Tuff Tire" Wheels) will allow me to still reuse the axle if ever I wanted 30 cm wheels later. Thank goodness PVC is fairly cheap.

I made the mistake of buying Hobie's Post Collar Clamp which is too small for 3/4" PVC. I'm still working on a fix but feel free to post any suggestions. Any input will be greatly appreciated for this work in progress.

Thnx in advance

Post subject: Re: Another DIY PVC Cart
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Figure out exactly where you want the PA to sit on that cart so it clears your wheels. Then get two cross tees for the 3/4 pvc pipe. Cut the PVC pipe to accept the cross tees with the cross pointing fore and aft on each side. Now when you put the pipe up into the scuppers the cross tees will catch in the hollows and stop the downward movement of the PA without putting a cross bar in contact with the rounded bottom which will dent it.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Saw somewhere that someone used tennis balls for the hull protectors on the uprights of the cart.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

saltfisherman wrote:
Saw somewhere that someone used tennis balls for the hull protectors on the uprights of the cart.

That might have been me. I use them above the hard collars on the Hobie Heavy Duty cart. The Hobie collars are all the way down and I have the drilled out tennis balls slid down above the collars. Provides a great cushion against the scupper hole area and still allows the ends to protrude through at the top for the retainer pin.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

SRAces wrote:
saltfisherman wrote:

That might have been me. I use them above the hard collars on the Hobie Heavy Duty cart. The Hobie collars are all the way down and I have the drilled out tennis balls slid down above the collars. Provides a great cushion against the scupper hole area and still allows the ends to protrude through at the top for the retainer pin.

Is you r PA a 12 or 14???

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pete@JAX wrote:
SRAces wrote:
saltfisherman wrote:

Is you r PA a 12 or 14???

I have a PA14.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass