Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All,

My father-in-law just picked up a Hobie Cat 14 (circa 1985). We were rigging it up, and came across a couple of questions that we need clarification on:

1) where should I order one of those teflon disks that is inserted prior to the mast being put into place?
2) how do I get the stays to be tighter? the system it has with me pushing the mast to one side or other as my father in law tries to get the little pin through the hole does not tighten the wires very well.
3) Image The mast doesn't seem to be sitting right down on the metal, is this correct? Also, should I take that bolt out on the right, so that the mast can shift left and right in the wind? If yes, is there a trick to do that, since it is under a lot of tension?
4) Image where am I supposed to attach this thing to? there is no where on the mast that seems to have a spot to attach it?

Much appreciated,

Ivan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

1. Hobie Dealer, Murrays. Salty Dog, etc. Technically called a Mast Bearing.

2. On my 14-Turbo, I have to raise the mast with the shrouds loose (pinned in top hole), then remove the step hinge (while things are still loose), then tighten shrouds. I tighten shrouds by pulling down/out on the trapeze wire while helper moves clevis pin to lower hole. I suppse you could uses the main halyard if you don't have trap wires. However, if your on a stock 14, I think they are supposed to be run with a loose rig:

http://www.hobiecat.com/articles/hobie- ... -guide,86/

http://www.hobieclass.com/site/hobie/ih ... 0Guide.pdf

3. Yes, take the bolt out (before tightening rig too much as described above) so the mast can rotate while sailing. I completely remove the hinge so that it doesn't accidentally get caught by the mast and get bent. This is a common occurence, and the hinge doesn't work properly after it's bent up.

4. That's the lower block of a vang, correct? I don't think anyone really uses those, but you can get SS screws with square nuts that fit in the luff track. With these, an eyestrap could be attached. (You should have a downhaul cleat attached this way.) For sure, you don't want the vang attached there. It will impeded mast rotation and lead to a bent up hinge as described above.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

For a make shift mast chip you can use a piece ice cream container lid cut to the right size. It will work fine for a couple of sailing sessions. The proper mast chip will last quite a while. Otherwise as mentioned, you can get them from Murray's, your local hobie dealer or ebay.

Have a Hobie Day!

Sent from Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the super thorough response and links Jerome.

Thanks for the tip ftlauderdale16, I am assuming you mean plastic ice cream containers? most of ours here are now cardboard.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had the same thoughts when I first rigged my H14. The rigging was so loose I was sure something was amiss. I have since found they are supposed to be rigged super loose. Be aware though If the rig is too loose you stand the chance of demasting in a capsize. To prevent that when it's blowing I run the main halyard down round the front bar and back up to the cleat a few times to keep it in place.

A good alternative for the mast bearing is a golf whiffle ball cut in two...fits perfectly in the mast base!

Hobie 16 1985 European Championships Palma 114072

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Josefk,
thanks for the tips.

One last question I have is, the quesiton #3 that I have above about that bolt and hinge, are they there only to allow one to walk the mast?

great info on this forum.

Ivan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes. Remove it completely. The step hinge is only for raising the mast. Never sail with it. The mast won't rotate and something will break.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks sunvista!