Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ive had my TI out a grand total of 4 times now, its 3 weeks old.

My 130# girlfriend likes to ride on the tramps when we are on a long run. After the first day I noticed they were much looser than when we first put them on, by the end of the 4th trip I could cinch the straps all the way to where there the plastic pieces of the buckle are touching and there is still sag on the tramps with nobody on them. Anyone riding on them now has their butt constantly dragging in the water unless the wind is strong enough to lift the ama on that side out of the water.

What can I do?? they have less than 10 hours on them!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Make a set of hakas. Check out my aluminum frame/wood hakas, http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=240 for details of construction, and read NOHUHU's thread: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=37645

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

No offense...

But i just paid over $350 for these tramps.. Im not building a damn thing.

I built hakas for my AI, I liked them but on the TI I prefer the tramps.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wingnutt wrote:
Wingman, talk to a sailmaker. Have them adjusted. Or measure them. Return um. Build your own.

It's not that hard to have done.

Certainly less painful than suggesting a "diet". Trust me on that one. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

NOHUHU wrote:
Wingnutt wrote:
Wingman, talk to a sailmaker. Have them adjusted. Or measure them. Return um. Build your own.

It's not that hard to have done.

Certainly less painful than suggesting a "diet". Trust me on that one. :roll:

Find a sail maker, pay to have them fix my brand new tramps..... I would prefer not to.

Guess at this point I should ask if this is typical.. Hobie says they hold up to 200#, I'll admit they don't state how long they remain viable ( not flapping in the wind or dragging your cargo or passenger in the water)

In their current state I consider mine useless, they are no longer capable of performing their intended task.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Almost typical, but not quite. They tend to be floppier than the AI's though.

Some folks are given AI tramps by mistake and these are going to be way oversized to begin with. They tried adding a shim inside the sleeve front to make them tighter.

Naturally, you need to try another pair. No difference? The variation may be in your boat. Then the sailmaker is your friend. If you could get the sleeved-end resewn and glued, that's likely the easiest fix.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll check and see if these are AI tramps.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

From your description I'd say these are the wrong tramps - the TI tramps are shorter front to back than the Single Island. Not sure if that is the case - or if the dealer made a mistake or we did - but yes - they will stretch, that is natural with vinyl tramp material - but there is plenty of room by design to take up that slack as long as you have the correct tramps - can you post a measurement so we can check - of course - call a dealer for help, they will handle it regardless of fault.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I started another post on this subject, because I thought this one was older than it is. Anyway, I bought a 2013 TI and a set of tramps ant the beginning of this month (6/13). I have the same problem. The tramps are too loose. I did take my tramps to the dealer. They took a set of TI tramps out of a sealed box and laid them next to mine. They look the same. They put them on their demo TI, just as loose on theirs as mine. I agree with wingnutt there is something wrong with they these were built or they are AI tramps that got put into a TI tramp box. Hey, mistakes do happen. I have owned and seen several Hobie's and none of the tramps are this loose. I do understand that the tramps are not as heavy duty as the tramps on the cats, but I should be able to get them taught.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:14 am 
Site Admin

whaletosh wrote:
they are AI tramps that got put into a TI tramp box. Hey, mistakes do happen. I have owned and seen several Hobie's and none of the tramps are this loose.

This is the most likely issue. Ask your dealer to contact warranty in your region and we can work out a replacement. An actual measurement of the fore / aft length would help.

whaletosh wrote:
I do understand that the tramps are not as heavy duty as the tramps on the cats, but I should be able to get them taught.

The materials are the same as use on catamarans, but the frame it is mounted on is not as stiff and can not be tensioned like a catamaran trampoline. Regardless of a bit of sag... these are light weight, comfortable and large unlike the Hakas I have seen described in the forums.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

miller:" these are light weight, comfortable and large unlike the Hakas I have seen described in the forums."
Oh, ouch! I haven't heard of the supermodels complaining about the comfort...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
The materials are the same as use on catamarans, but the frame it is mounted on is not as stiff and can not be tensioned like a catamaran trampoline. Regardless of a bit of sag... these are light weight, comfortable and large unlike the Hakas I have seen described in the forums.
:shock: Matt you didn't think that comment would be left alone did you? :lol: so by inference the hakas are heavy, uncomfortable and small. Well, having built some hakas I do agree that they are heavier than tramps, but from a comfort level hakas are definitely more comfortable as they get your rear end up out of the " car wash" that's the main discomfort with tramps - that constant wetness - its a ton of fun when you first get them and then that wears off (when your clothes are dry) :roll: , however hakas don't need to be tensioned and re-tensioned, they are very quick and simple to install compared to tramps, hakas can actually cost about half the price of tramps to build yourself, hakas allow a better hiking out experience and hakas are far more useful for lashing down any gear. Hakas also provide a more stable surface if you need to stand to move around the boat, as in landing at a dock - I know I have tried standing up on the trampolines and true to their name got bounced around the boat. And small? yes hakas generally cover a smaller surface area but they also usually extend forward and aft of the AKAs making the boat more versatile in creating load balance. And perhaps the most redeeming feature of hakas over trampolines is safety - hakas won't act like a sail and de-stabilize the boat under harder conditions. I was out in the water this last weekend with my trampolines on when the wind came up to 20-25knots - had the sail reefed in 60% and sailing with the wind at my beam and the biggest tipping force was being applied to the tramp when coming over a wave . Now, that's not to say trampolines are not good - they are great and if you have kids they will just love them. Also great for pets. I use them myself but I just wanted to bring a little balance to the comparison between tramps and hakas :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, Matt, I was also mildly surprised at your dissing hakas. I inherited a pair of tramps when I bought my 2011 AI and sold them (unused) within a couple months. While I understand people enjoying tramps, I have always been leery of them if big winds come up, e.g., on our camping trips. I would love to see any statistics on pitch pole type accidents with and w/o tramps--probably not enough data to be significant. Nevertheless, even with hakas, I can feel lateral wind resistance when on a reach in strong winds. I'm always glad I'm not using tramps.

Hakas are very solid platforms for mounting accessories such as Railblaza. They are good for carrying camping equipment (http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=240) and can easily be used as a table or two in camp http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=270.

Since I built my hakas (http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=240) and use them to carry a significant amount of camping gear normally carried in the hull, problems with bow-diving have been greatly reduced (effectively eliminated) and my hull (inside) is drier.

I don't have personal experience, but I read the "hiking out" experience is better with hakas. Hakas are not prone to clips breaking. Which accessory, hakas or tramps, are more comfortable may depend on their use and how they are "enhanced." I've seen some hakas with pretty comfortable chairs mounted on them.

Bottom line, most haka users won't mind if you promote your tramps, but they may take offense if you bash their favorite accessory.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

Chekika wrote:
Yes, Matt, I was also mildly surprised at your dissing hakas.

Yikes! Just my opinion... I see haka users are a sensitive bunch. :)

I would hardly characterize my comments as a bash. Everything has it's limitations.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This just means Matt hasn't been out on hakas yet. :)