Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am have a hard time using the Hobie Parts Illustrations and ask for help. Believe me, I have looked patiently for answers.

My problem is difference between what Hobie calls "channels" and "crossbar reinforcement."

Are the channels used in conjunction with the reinforcement kits?

The diagrams I have to not describe them.

I assume the channels are used 4 to a hull, between the deck ridge and the hull to anchor bolts.

Okay, do the kits replace the channels and are fastened to hull?

Can someone define each use and where?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You are correct, the illustrated parts diagram is not terribly clear....

I'm looking at the 2011 catalog. There is the "Anchor Plate Kit" P/N 64100001. This would be the same as what you're refering to as the "crossbar reinforcement kit". It extends down the hull and has holes to thru-bolt four 1/4" diameter bolts through the hull.

This part is a replacement for the "Channel" P/N 61110000.

The original Hobie 18s used the Channel for all crossbar connections (fore & aft and inboard & outboard). The Channel was also used for the shroud anchor connection.

In the late 70's/early 80's, the Anchor Plate Kit was factory installed at the shroud locations. In the mid/late 80's, the Anchor Plate Kit became factory installed at all forward crossbar locations (inboar & outboard). It was introduced as a retro-fit kit that replaced the channel at those locations in order to strengthen the hull/forward crossbar connection.

Latest factory design has the "Anchor Plate Kit" installed at the shrouds and forward crossbar connection. The "Channel" is used at the four rear crossbar connections.

It may be possible to install the Anchor Plate Kit at the rear crossbar connections, but it requires that you install a port hole behind the rear crossbar for access. Fitting the Anchor Plates to the hull may also be a problem because the hull flange is narrower at the rear connection point, so they may not fit. Check fit first before cutting your hull.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The Anchor Plates Fit easily on the outside of the rear crossbar connection too. The insides, are a harder fit.

1986 Hobie 18 #13031

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Based on my '79 Hobie, I believe Hobie may have changed the design of this "reinforcement" kit. My shrouds have a half circle plate design with four screws very close together on the circumference of the plate. The current design, and the one that you would get if you purchased the shroud brackets now, is a larger "D" shaped bracket, with the screws spaced further apart.

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

SabresfortheCup wrote:
Based on my '79 Hobie, I believe Hobie may have changed the design of this "reinforcement" kit. My shrouds have a half circle plate design with four screws very close together on the circumference of the plate. The current design, and the one that you would get if you purchased the shroud brackets now, is a larger "D" shaped bracket, with the screws spaced further apart.

The "reinforcement kit" is made up of the newer style shroud anchor plates. The load is distributed a bit more than the 70s anchor plates.

H18 ('85)
H20 ('97)
H18 ('78)