Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's a couple videos I found. Notice the fishing rod and loose gear that sink or float away in the first video! The 2nd video shows a guy in not-so-great shape struggling to get back into a PA and also turning one right-side-up without a rope. It is pretty tough turning a PA back over! I enter from the back of mine similar to how the guy in the 2nd video does it. I have no problem re-entering without a rope ladder..but I'm in pretty good shape. I would suggest trying all of this before heading out so you have an idea what to do once you are a little pannicked in the water! It didn't take a whole lot for the guy in the first video to flip his PA12. I would expect a PA14 to be a little tougher to flip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKSnRKLJpq0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-U78viYWKs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That first video link is main video everyone always posts when they say the PA is not sea worthy. I think that dude was at fault more than the kayak. He shouldn't even have went out with the surf like that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BigRedObsession wrote:
That first video link is main video everyone always posts when they say the PA is not sea worthy. I think that dude was at fault more than the kayak. He shouldn't even have went out with the surf like that.

He had indicated that the weather turned on him after their launch earlier in the day.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

islandspeed2001 wrote:
BigRedObsession wrote:

He had indicated that the weather turned on him after their launch earlier in the day.

I would have still check the weather reports. I too have been out in my PA in the "washing machine" type conditions. If i know there is a small chance of the weather turning. I leave a lot of gear in the truck or at home. As soon as the chop started coming so should he.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

islandspeed2001 wrote:
BigRedObsession wrote:

It shows him launching in really tight swells. They weren't that high just VERY frequent. He turned sideways, leaned the wrong way on the yak in a swell and grabbed the right side of the yak with his right hand which pulled the PA over with him. If he would have just went in without grabbing a hold of the yak it wouldn't have flipped.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm new to this forum, but definitely have some insight on rough water. I exclusively fish southeast Florida in the Atlantic. I have an outback and the guys I fish with have a mix of Pro Anglers and Outbacks. We have been in seas that turned away avid boaters. We knew it would be rough, but it got way worse after an hour or so. It's not a good feeling trying not to surf 6 ft waves a couple of miles offshore. I obviously wouldn't recommend going out when the water is that rough, but it's nice to know what you can handle. With that being said, not one of us tipped or ever had a problem with stability. You also need to know your limits!!

I have had my outback for a year now and am planning on selling it for a pro angler in a week or two. At this point, I like the open space the PA offers and really want to stand and fish.

You can't go wrong with either. Test them a few times if you have to.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have both a PA and Outback.
Out in a PA with swells coming from the rear, as the swell runs under the PA it lifts the rear and you temporarily loose steering as the rudder WILL be out of the water and the PA will turn sideways...just like in the video. (Speaking of that video, he checked the weather forecast and there was NO forecast for that storm that hit him). Guys that have a live-well(not talking about the little Hobie one) on the back of their PA have found they steer a lot better as the extra weight pushes the rear deeper thus the rudder is further in the water. The PA rudder in flat water does not enter the water very far and realistically needs to be another2-3inches longer, I have made a longer one and it has improved the steering in the PA in every aspect. Large swell is still a problem but no where as bad, I can now turn from a standing start and tracking is also better.
The PA's front hatch is not waterproof with the storage container fitted and will half fill when tipped upside down, so it's a good idea to carry a bailing bucket or hand bilge pump or fit a rubber seal to the top of the container to seal against the lid. Wear a PFD all thw time you are on the water, over here it's law and it's a good law.

The Outback is a very stable vessel and probably one of the most popular yaks found here for fishing. If you are on the large size, keep your head up when reaching around behind you , this helps to stop you over leaning and tipping over. First upgrade to an Outback is a sailing rudder and ST fins.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Your whole opinion on the PA's steering is based on your experiences. I am 300lbs so the rear of my yak is always close to the water. I have no "problems" with the rudder. Like said before the yak has to be moving forward for the kayak to react to the rudders instruction.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Big red wrote "Your whole opinion on the PA's steering is based on your experiences" Of course it is and every post I've read from people on this and other sites saying the same thing.. do a search and look at the other posts on bigger rudders.. I am 300lbs so the rear of my yak is always close to the water. I have no "problems" with the rudder If you like it the way it is...fine, now take it out in rough water and see how the rudder handles it, as far as I'm aware the PA was designed for use in rivers and lakes. One dealer I've spoke to will not recommend PA's for sea fishing. Like said before the yak has to be moving forward for the kayak to react to the rudders instruction. Mine WAS like that with the standard rudder but isn't now, I can be stationary, turn the rudder and start to peddle and it will turn straight away. I have let others try my PA to compare to theirs and they all can tell the difference immediately, so much so that I've had 3 PA owners in the last 2 weeks ask me to make them a rudder exactly the same
Sorry Basher for highjacking your post.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow, there's at least a few in every forum.