Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm not very close to any Hobie dealer and would like to buy a couple of Oasis tandems for my family and for my fishing (solo). I've done some searching of the forums and found several discussions about the fit of different Hobie kayaks for taller people but found no good information with the exception of the fit of the Pro Angler which I am not considering. I'm about 205lbs, size 16 shoe, and 37" inseam. The Oasis looks exactly like what I want, but before I spend a day making the trip to see a dealer for a test, I would like to know if there is anyone else out there over 6'5, with big feet, and with a thin build who could comment on using the Oasis or even the Revolution 13.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can't speak to the Oasis as I haven't been in one but the Revo 13 should fit you. I am 6'2" with a 34" Inseam and the 6 weeks I spent in the Revo13 was very easy. I had the Mirage Drive at 4 so you should be able to go to 6 or 7 and be there. I always try to recommend a demo whenever possible. Maybe try a local forum and see if anyone has one to try out as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:43 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

_Dan_ wrote:
I'm about 205lbs, size 16 shoe, and 37" inseam. The Oasis looks exactly like what I want, but before I spend a day making the trip to see a dealer for a test, I would like to know if there is anyone else out there over 6'5, with big feet, and with a thin build who could comment on using the Oasis or even the Revolution 13.
Unfortunately, if you're expecting a full leg extension, I think you would be disappointed. This guy has a 36" inseam and you can see he is pretty cramped:

On the other hand, the current Oasis (2011 and newer) Front seat actually has the longest cockpit space of any of the Mirage Drive kayaks (PAs and inflatables excluded). It is about 1 to 1.5" longer than the Revolution and notably longer (but narrower) than the rear Oasis cockpit. I almost always sit in the front when soloing. You could gain additional leg room by ordering a 2006 seat (thinner back with no lumbar pad, good back support and my personal favorite) and forgoing any footwear. That still won't give you full extension, but some folks don't need it. Otherwise, the front cockpit is cozy but comfortable. Width should be OK for you feet, but in the full forward foot position, you'd have to move your feet up on the pedals to avoid banging your heels on the deck.

Another option for you might be the i14 tandem inflatable -- it has adjustable seats that should accommodate plenty of leg room.

Wish I had better news -- the Oasis if a great boat! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm 6'3"/220lbs with long legs. Before I bought my boat, I went to a Hobie dealer to test drive the Oasis because I shared your same concern. Here is a picture of my wife, dog, and I during our test drive.
I set the Mirage Drive as long as it gets. My legs extend as far as I use cycling, but it's comfortable, and I don't have any knee pain during or after each session. Granted, I haven't gone on any all day or multi-day treks, but I have been out for many 5 hour trips without issue. Also, most of the time I'm out with my wife and dog, I perform the bulk of the power. I'm finding that the sail, while not a great primary power plant, it is great for adding that little extra juice.
Before you decide to buy, I suggest a test drive first. If your local dealer doesn't do test drive, find one that does. All it took was one session to see the Oasis was the right boat for us.

Enjoy,
Longbikermike
sent by iPad using TapaTalk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the advice and the great pics. In my opinion, at 6'3-6'4 a person is at the high end of the normal size range which means you probably don't ever have to settle for or pass on gear that is too small. I recently purchased the Oasis and would say if you are 6'5 or over you must test drive because at this point I'll guess that half of you will want a larger cockpit. For me, it's good enough for taking my little kids out and I'm sure I'll be able to tolerate short trips while wearing my waders and wading boots. In sandals, my heels bang the hull and the front seat passenger can't recline too much or my toes hit the back of the seat. My leg extension is definitely shorter than what I would like to have. Adjusting my pedal stroke to something that is comfortable enough and quiet was pretty easy. I also have enough room to stretch out my legs when I'm not pedaling. It's not big enough for me to consider purchasing two but I'm still happy with my new Oasis.