Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Livewell
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First Off, I am a big fan of all my Hobie products, I own a Outback and just purchased last Christmas a Pro Angler 12 and both boats/yaks are my pride and joy, so far 6 years of fishing Bliss. 2 years ago I upgraded and bought a Hobie live-well and didn't mind spending the 250 bucks for a product I though would last as long as my boats, I like the fact I could keep my fish alive and kicking in case I was culling and I could release the fish back in good shape.

Now to the point, I went fishing this weekend and my live-well cracked right down the seam for no reason, it is funny it cracked right where the two pieces looked like they were plastic welded together nice clean split. I am sending a photo so you can see what I am talking about. My question is will Hobie still back this product, fix this or replace it?

If I would have drop it or damaged it on my own I would not have even wasted anyone's time. But that is not the case. Is this common for the live-well, has this happened before and has it been addressed?

It shocked me, right in the middle of fishing on the Chesapeake bay I hear water running in the back of my pro angler for no reason, it was full of water and had a couple of fish in it, but why on earth did it split down the seam like that has me baffled. I am fearful to buy another one if all I can get is two years out of it.

Hobie Staff let me know what you think and thank you ahead of time for any considerations?
V/R Mark Mckenzie

PS, I tried posting the images but cant, need some help on this or give me an email address and I can send it there.

l hope this link works, just let me know

Post subject: Re: Hobie Livewell
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

mack52 I have a Hobie livewell - so far it has not cracked and I am currently using it as a dry box. However I notice when I empty it and look inside that the light coming through the weld seam shows it to be much thinner than the rest of the box and I am not surprised it cracked along the seam - I have been half expecting mine to do the same. The weight of water sloshing around in it is probably more than enough to crack the very thin plastic along that seam. Hobie have always been very good about fixing things that appear to be a flaw and I would suggest you contact your hobie dealer and ask them.

For help posting pics and other forums things go here faq.php

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes I also noticed that light too, never dreaming it would split like that, lets see what the Hobie staff and Mr. Millers take is on this.
R/Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Those big fish kicked their way out?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:27 am 
Site Admin

Did you try filing a warranty claim yet? That would be the best course of action.

The product is "Blow Molded", so there is no seam or glue line. What you see is only external and is a mold "parting line". There would be "Flash" or material that escapes out between the two mold halves that is then trimmed. Likely they simply trimmed too much material off.

Molded Polyethylene is translucent, so seeing light through it is normal.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)