Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I tried posting this the other Day, so apologies if this is a double post.

I've owned a TI for a year now. Our seasons here are about 12 weeks long so Ive really only sailed a handful of times. I love the TI, But I'm still getting accustomed to it. One of the issues that sometimes confuses me involves the proper way to rig the Roller furling mast.

Every once in a while ill get on the boat, in the first five minutes of the sail and realize I wound the mast backwards. Can someone please provide tips on how to make sure that the roller furling Mast is rigged properly? Should the line be wrapped clockwise, or counterclockwise? How do I know the mast is rigged properly? Any tips or thoughts on this would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi LeelanouX.
Sounds like you should live in Australia where sailing on warm sunny winter days is a delight.

Probably many ways to answer your question.

When demasting my TI, I wind the furling sheet on intself, rather than around the capstain.
When rigging, I pass that sheet through the lead and cleat, figure 8 knot in the end then tie
it to the mainsheet. That way I don't lose the end.

Before launching, I let out a little sail with the furling sheet automatically going the right way.
If the sail hasn't been furled firmly, you may need another turn around the capstain with the
furling sheet. This will make sure you can completely furl if needed and not have a foot of sail that you
don't want.

Much easier to test and sort problems before launching. If the wind is strong
just don't let it completely unfurl the sail on land.

I'm sure others will have good ideas but if you need more info or photos, give me a yell.

Cheers,
Brian in South Aus.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

On the TI (and the AI) the reefing line is wound around the spool so that pulling on it turns the mast in a clockwise direction, looking down.
To put it another way, the furling line feeds though the cleat on the starboard side of the aka brace, then it heads toward the centerline and the bow, wrapping around the spool toward the port bow quarter, then the port stern quarter, then the stern, then the starboard stern quarter, etc.

You can check whether it is rigged properly, because pulling on the main sheet should wind the furling line further onto the spool, and pulling on the furling line should pull in sail, or, if it all in, try to wind it tighter.

When I rig the boat, I put the mast in place, put the furling line through the cleat, and pull out all the line (turning the mast), Then I tie the furling line to the main sheet (I keep a small bowline loop in each end of the main sheet, and tie a sheet bend into this loop with the furling line). Then, I rotate the mast two turns in a counter clockwise direction lookng down (it starts with the hole where the furling line is secured pointed toward the cleat, since it has just been pulled all the way out, I turn it until this comes back to this position for the second time) then I turn it a little more, cleat the furling line, and hook up the main sheet to the grommet in the clew of the sail.

If you turn it too far for your rigging, you will not be able to get the sail all the way out, because the knot will hit the cleat first. If you turn it not far enough, you will not be able completely furl the sail, and after you pull the line all the way out, some sail will still be deployed. ChangeMan's method is good for insuring that you will be able to completely reef the sail when you want, but mine also seems to work.

Be careful with advice from those down under, though, because they may find it works best turned the opposite direction, coreolis forces being what they are. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very funny! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Here is my take. Forget about clockwise/anticlockwise.
Step i. Returning to shore
Furl the sail and cleat it.
When packing up, undo the knot joining the mainsheet and furling line.
Remove the S-hook from the sail clew after using the blue line to secure the sail.
Undo the cleat on the furling line.
Spin the mast by hand until nearly all the furling line is on the spool.
Tie off the loose end to the downhaul (for tidiness)
You can now remove the mast.

Step 2. Pre-launch
Insert the mast.
Hook up the S-hook to the clew
Undo the blue line
Pull out the mainsheet to unfurl the sail fully (making sure the mainsheet is loose enough for the sazil to flog rather than heel the Island over. I do it on the trailer, but if you do it at the water's edge, have the amas out if the wind is strong.)
Undo enough furling line to pass through its cleat with about 6 inches protruding
Tie this loose end to the end of the mainsheet.
Uncleat the mainsheet and pull on the furling line until the sail is furled.
Go sailing!
Repeat Step one!