Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looking for suggestions. I have a 2012 Revo 13, and had it out while halibut fishing yesterday. All was fine, except no halibut. Then when I landed and attempted to remove the seat prior to transporting, the left peg was jammed. Way beyond my hand strength to turn the peg but 1/4 of the way. The right peg, just fine.

Now, having read about hull cracks at the seat peg, I'm leery about horsing on it to loosen it. I suspect that there may be some grit/gravel in there from launching in a big surf zone. I tried concentrating a water stream from the hose on it -- no give. I'm thinking of putting some WD40 on it next. There's a block of foam firmly wedged inside the hull below the seat, and I'm reluctant to remove that to get to the underside of the peg. Should I do that?

I see lots of posts about loose seat pegs, but not stuck ones. I suppose I can just leave it, and then strap the seat down tight like I did on the drive home yesterday. I'd rather not beat up the seat that way if I can avoid it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Akfish,

The 2012 Revo 13's seat pegs are secured to the kayak by a "Twist-Loc Receiver" (Hobie Catalog #81275001). This receiver screws into the kayak. If you were to apply excessive, counter-clockwise, force to the seat peg, you will only end up unscrewing the receiver. If you do this and the peg breaks off and a piece is stuck in the receiver, you can just order a new seat peg and receiver. Actually, you don't even need a new receiver, you have two spares in the two seat peg holes that you don't use.

Excessive, clockwise, force is not recommended as that could strip the threads that secure the receiver to the kayak.

Note that I am not a Hobie tech or repairman, just a fellow 2012 Revo 13 owner that has had seat peg problems as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've had this problem as well, sprayed some wd-40 and worked at it. The new seat pegs have a lot of slop in them up/down and allow sand etc. to gather there. Not a fan of the new design at all...