Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am trying to come up with an idea to keep the mast still (or locked) when my wife and I are relaxing on the boat with main sail down on the tramp. We like to sail for an hour or two, then drop the main sail and furl the jib. The only problem is that if the water is choppy, the mast rotates on ball very abruptly back and forth. I have tried to bungee the mast to the wing seats, but that didn't work (probably should have used rope). Has anyone come up with anything? I am thinking of making some sort of wooden wedge to place under the mast base.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am imagining using the jib sheets somehow.

One idea is to wrap each jib line outside the shroud and then connect them together with something, then pull the lines light. This would essentially take the slack out of the shrouds - which is the real issue I think. If they weren't long enough, maybe you could connect each sheet to the shroud on it's side with something and pull tight. You might only have to do one side.

Then again, it's not designed to do that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On second read, it looks like mast pivot is the problem. Maybe loop the jib sheets around the main downhaul cleat from each side and pull tight. The tension from both sides would almost certainly prevent it from twisting.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok, wrapping a rope around the mast several times and then wrapping it around both shroud wires did the trick. Thanks for the idea Hobieonekanobie. For extra security, I wrapped it around the wing seat support bar as well. Don't use bungee cord, way to much flex. Anyway, it worked great, the mast stayed secure and quiet in choppy water. A much better way to relax in the sun and have a beer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I actually came across this same problem for the first time a few days ago and was glad you had me thinking about it before hand.

http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/chris ... sort=3&o=0

No extra supplies. Worked great. I will do this anytime I am temporarily mooring it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If my boat is on the water, I leave my sail up and my main sheet attached with lots of slack. The extra weight keeps things from banging around. Otherwise I drag the boat up on the beach and I don't have your problem. I can see that if you are moored to a doc you would want to prevent the boat from banging around.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My favorite way to stop the boat and relax is to "heave to". It is a great way to stop the boat while you have lunch up on the forward tramp and the rig should remain quiet.

The simplest way that I can describe it is to tack the boat and leave the jib cleated off on the new windward side. Let the main sheet run completely free. I have an adjustable tiller extension that I extend so that the end of the extension is even with the locking mechanism of the cooler lid on the windward hull. I then push the tiller extension so that the end of the extension can now "lock" onto the after inboard corner of the cooler lid. The cleated jib will attempt to push the bow down away from the wind but the little bit of main sail that catches wind will drive the boat slightly forward causing the locked rudders to turn the bows up into the wind. The boat will now stay parked with a slight downwind drift. Unless it is very choppy the boat will stay in this attitude until you decide to uncleat the jib, pull in the main, and straighten the rudders to sail away.

'05 Wave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, JT! I completely forgot about heaving to!

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

These are great ideas, thanks! Might give that "heaving to" a try, that way we don't have to keep dropping the main sail.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks JT for the lesson in "Heaving To". Tried it last weekend and it works great!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hove to (Heaved to?) yesterday. Great! I'd forgotten that technique. Made it so much easier to lower the sail when we were coming in, and gave us some rest time after we righted the boat after it's (and my wife's) first capsize!
Thanks for the reminder!

Too many canoes and kayaks