Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a used Wave this last spring and orderred a jib kit. My Wave has apparently spent some time in salt water and many of the fittings on the boat have corroded threads. To install the jib kit, you must remove and reinstall the bow bridle fittings (4 screws) . After 3 weeks trying penetrating oil etc, I successfully removed the two screws holding the starboard fitting, however, both port fitting screw heads broke off. This left me with two inserts on the bow of the port hull with screw bodies seized into the inserts' threads.

What's the recommended practice to remove these two "headless" screws from the inserts? It sounds like the inserts are brass and the screws appear to be stainless steel. Does anyone have experience with this problem?

Also, I have a standard Wave with the exterior plugs on the outside of the hull opposite the jam cleat installation point so I need to put in hull access hatches. I'm planning on 5" hatches out of the calendar. Is this a better plan than removing the forward seating pad and going through the sealed plate that is apparently there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:59 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
I would go thru the seat pad port, it prob. isn't sealed good anymore unless it has been resealed.

You are going to have to get a reverse drill bit and get the broken screw out, All I can say is good luck. With my rental boat I always had this problem, we started taking the screws out about once a Month to make sure they did not freeze up, they only get fresh water when it rained.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There's some stuff we use sometimes called CorrosionX. It doesn't always work. But it often works when nothing else has. I keep a can on the bench here and at home.

http://corrosionxproducts.com/index.htm

Brian C