Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

I recently bought a 2002 getaway in decent condition after trying a newer model while on vacation. The one thing that really bothers me about my boat vs the newer one is the rudder system. Every place I have launched from is too shallow to mount the rudders with the nose of the boat on the beach; I have to push the boat aways out into the water and mount the rudders while sitting on the stern, which is a pain in any decent wind. It was so easy to set up and launch the newer boat with the EZ Loc system. I am seriously considering upgrading, if this is possible, but I had a few questions.

First, is it possible to switch, or is the mounting hardware on the stern different on the new boats?
Second, what parts do I need to buy to make the switch? Is there a kit, or do I need multiple parts, or what?
Third, are there advantages to the old system that I should consider, reasons to not upgrade?
Anything I'm overlooking?

Thanks,
Alec

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, since no one has responded, I searched the web some more and found this list of parts needed to upgrade.

UPDATE OLDER GETAWAY TO EZ LOC
(2) 37312000 EZ LOC RUDDER ASSEMBLY
(1) 37524001 TILLER CROSSBAR
(1) 20550001 HIKING STICK
(2) 90880211 PINTLE - UPPER
(2) 90880221 PINTLE - LOWER
(12) 8030411 SCREW 12-24 X 3/4 LONG LOC

I don't think the hiking stick and screws are necessary, as the parts seem to be the same as the older ones. Now I'm going to shop around to see what it will cost to get all these parts...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I wouldn't do it...not worth the trouble. Why can't you mount the rudders on shore or in shallow water? Shouldn't be a problem?? My old Bravo had the old system rudder and it could be mounted in any position.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When I bought this boat, I had only used/seen the newer model with the EZ Loc system. When I bought this one, the seller showed me how to rig the boat (on the trailer), but told me that we couldn't put the rudders on the boat while it was on the trailer. Because of this, I didn't know that the rudders would swing up horizontally and lock in this position, and they're too long to mount in the down position with the boat on the beach. After your response, I realized I was missing something and went to inspect the rudders. I'm going to try launching again now that I know what I'm doing, and hopefully it will take care of the problem. BTW, the current price for the parts to upgrade the rudder system is about $1050.