Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Solo Righting
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tiny Dragon wrote:
Pleas, has somebody the upright solo righting system (shroud extender) for HC16?
How long is cable (lug to lug)?
Thank you

Anyone?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Id go with a righting bag or make a righting pole. Why mess around with shrouds out in the water?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have the shroud extender. I've never measured it, but it adds about a foot onto the shrouds. The one time I had to use it was nice. Getting the upper hull on the right side for weight was all it needed. After you get it upright, you put the boat in a position where the loose shroud is downwind and slack. Then you can re-pin it, although you'll probably loose a hole or two in the process.

It's quick to use. The extra slack had me a bit nervous but I didn't actually notice it when I tacked (winds were 20+ mph). I haven't capsized enough with it to be sure, but so far I like it. Should be able to get up and running from a capsize within five minutes.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jclarkdawe wrote:
I have the shroud extender. I've never measured it, but it adds about a foot onto the shrouds. The one time I had to use it was nice. Getting the upper hull on the right side for weight was all it needed. After you get it upright, you put the boat in a position where the loose shroud is downwind and slack. Then you can re-pin it, although you'll probably loose a hole or two in the process.

It's quick to use. The extra slack had me a bit nervous but I didn't actually notice it when I tacked (winds were 20+ mph). I haven't capsized enough with it to be sure, but so far I like it. Should be able to get up and running from a capsize within five minutes.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

When you have time, can you measure it?

I'm not planning on using it as my main righting system, just as a backup. It's always good to have more than one option so that you're always prepared.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

PurdueZach wrote:
jclarkdawe wrote:

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

I'm not planning on using it as my main righting system, just as a backup. It's always good to have more than one option so that you're always prepared.

It's just under 14 inches end to end, or about 11.5 inches from loop to loop. Net result is probably when it's released would be about 12.5 inches added to the shroud. It's definitely a lot of slack that you add to the shroud. If you want to get a rough idea, take a piece of rope and tie one end to your shroud and one end to the pin you would be using.

However, the measurement also depends upon which hole you use in the shroud stay adjuster. My shrouds are normally in the bottom hole of the shroud stay adjuster, with the extenders put through two holes above (they don't tend to fit side-by-side. This probably adds an inch onto my system from the measurement above. I doubt it matters.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jclarkdawe wrote:
PurdueZach wrote:
jclarkdawe wrote:

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

It's just under 14 inches end to end, or about 11.5 inches from loop to loop. Net result is probably when it's released would be about 12.5 inches added to the shroud. It's definitely a lot of slack that you add to the shroud. If you want to get a rough idea, take a piece of rope and tie one end to your shroud and one end to the pin you would be using.

However, the measurement also depends upon which hole you use in the shroud stay adjuster. My shrouds are normally in the bottom hole of the shroud stay adjuster, with the extenders put through two holes above (they don't tend to fit side-by-side. This probably adds an inch onto my system from the measurement above. I doubt it matters.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Thanks! I'm going to rig up a set by splicing Dynex Dux. I don't plan on using the shroud extenders unless I really need to though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Make sure that you also rig up a retaining system to keep the mast held in the mast step (the Hobie system uses a wire loop shackled to the mast base and wrapped around the dolphin striker). Otherwise there is the possibility you will dismast when you release the shroud.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

srm wrote:
Make sure that you also rig up a retaining system to keep the mast held in the mast step (the Hobie system uses a wire loop shackled to the mast base and wrapped around the dolphin striker). Otherwise there is the possibility you will dismast when you release the shroud.

sm

Thanks. I was planning on making one. This line will have to have an extra thick cover on it because it rubs easily on everything up there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sort of on the subject...I sail solo sometimes on my 16. Today I flipped and no matter what I tried I could not get the boat to rotate into the proper position to get it righted. Has happened a couple other times. I get way out on the bow and bury it and it will spin the boat around to a point, then it just stops. I can not get the boat to spin the rest of the way to the "righting angle". What the heck am I doing wrong? Had to sweet talk a boater to jump in and hang on the righting line with me today...which sucked.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hobiesrock wrote:
Sort of on the subject...I sail solo sometimes on my 16. Today I flipped and no matter what I tried I could not get the boat to rotate into the proper position to get it righted. Has happened a couple other times. I get way out on the bow and bury it and it will spin the boat around to a point, then it just stops. I can not get the boat to spin the rest of the way to the "righting angle". What the heck am I doing wrong? Had to sweet talk a boater to jump in and hang on the righting line with me today...which sucked.

Ahhh stuck in irons.. on your side... :lol:

I have had that happen once or twice... :wink: Often swimming like heck to get the bows to swing around to no avail... most of the time simply leaning back on the righting line slightly while walking as far 'forward' as possible does the trick.. Just enough weight on the righting line to begin to lift the mast but not have it clear the water.. somtimes it works.. and other times I just don't have the patience..

I think the problem in these situations must have something to do with the wave action acting on the sails... how the sails are hanging/dragging in the water... whatever... The wind is driving the boat downwind and the sails act as a brake preventing the boat from rotating as you would like...

I have two easy solutions to this which are often faster than waiting for the boat to drift around or swimming it around...

First.. Most importantly Your mast is sealed up properly, RIGHT? You wouldn't want to intentionally try these tricks below if you thought your mast was even slightly leaking.. because the further it is under the lake.. the faster it is going to fill... making it VERY hard to right..

Turtle the boat (if possible, be mindful of lake depth)... and pop it up the other way.. This works great in a typical sideways capsize and in my opinion often faster than trying to spin it around... I turtle all the time on purpose... No big deal at all if your mast ain't leaking and you have enough rig tension to keep the mast from popping out... generally it will pop up and roll right into the position you were seeking.. I have used this one several times in 'survival mode' to make sure the boat was on the tack I desired when it came up....

Or... If you know the lake is to shallow to turtle... Be careful about this... But go back on the boat and roll it onto the rudders, pointing both bows for the sky and lay it down on the other side.... This works great also with some practice...

With power boaters around... As soon as they approach make sure they not only understand your sails are under the lake and not going to agree with the propeller... But make certain not to right it with them anywhere near a position in which you could nail them with an "up and over"... Those are easy enough to do... Most of the time If I am in need of help from a powerboat... It is easier to have them grab the head of the mast and lift... Once the mast clears 4-5 ft over the water it is pretty easy to keep on going up from there.. Even with some water in the mast...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ya...stuck in irons on my side is a good way to put it.
I have a bob so no turtle'n...dont think my mast leaks, really should check that to be 100% than I could ditch the bob.
I did the flip it over by standing on the stern, and ended up stuck again lol.
I got so worn out trying to get it righted I could barely hold the main sheet.
I think I am going to just make a righting pole...cheap and easy to make and can right that dang thing no matter which way its pointing then!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

srm wrote:

Thank you, this is important information for me. I did't thik about this necessity.

jclarkdawe wrote:

Thank for exact dimension.

hobiesrock wrote:
Id go with a righting bag or make a righting pole. Why mess around with shrouds out in the water?

Pleas could you take a photograph of detail connection the pole onto the dolphin striker? I have seen pictures of this righting system, but not underdood how to fix the pole to front bar bent.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This afternoon I'm going to rig up my own shroud extender system. Will post back with pictures and more details if it works. If you don't hear from me tomorrow, I'm probably still out in the intracoastal trying to solo right my boat.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hobiesrock wrote:

This gets my vote !!! Righting bag has worked great for me. I use it with a Hawaiin righting system. Although I have no experience with the shroud extender, the righting bag was very simplistic and easy to retract after righting is completed.
The bag is contained beneith the tramp allowing easy access while boat is capsizes. You may not realize it but easy access is a very important tool when attempting to right a H16. :)

David