Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My PA-12 wouldn't sink
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been searching the forum to find out if the PA-12 will sink if completely full of water. I wanted to know if a catastrophic happened while on the water if staying with the kayak would be worthwhile. I couldn't find the answer, so today I put PA-12 (2012 model) to the test. I put it in my pool, opened all of the hatches, pulled the drain plugs and did everything possible to sink her. I wasn't able to sink her. I forced all of the air out of the hull and climbed on top of her and she still wouldn't go down and I weigh 275#. It's probably because of all the foam pieces inside the hull.
So now I know that if I do happen to capsize and fill the hull with water, I can stay with my kayak and use it for floatation along with my PFD, until help came or I made the decision to swim to shore.
A least now I know what I will be dealing with in the worst case scenario, Plus I now know there will be the possibility of recovering my PA after the event.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks. Good, informative test. In a big water accident it's always better to "stay with the boat".

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Capt Gary wrote:
Thanks. Good, informative test. In a big water accident it's always better to "stay with the boat".

Yep, especially if the yak is a red, or orange color.. Even yellow is a good color to spot from the air.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for doing and reporting on the test, I had planned to do it so you have saved me the effort. The results are what I had hoped for since the forward hatch can't be sealed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dude great test. Wish you could have taken some pics for all the haters out there.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks that's good to know.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Would be great to see some pictures or video if you have.

Did you have it fully rigged or striped down?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry, no pictures. I had it stripped down so I didn't have to clean everything.(salt water pool)
That is the main reason I climbed on top of the PA and tried to simulate the extra weight if it was rigged. I weigh 275 pounds. That no where close to the weight I carry when I'm out fishing. It was actually a lot of work trying to get the air out. If I pushed one end down the other end would raise up and take air into the hull I had to close all of the hatches and bleed the air out of the drain holes in the back to avoid it taking on air into the hull. When I was on top it was like a raft, I could sit on top of it but it wasn't very stable and wanted to roll

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well that's good to know about the 12. I know of at least a couple reports of the 14 being sunk and lost. Seems the front hatch is the problem. If you use the tray for storage and you turtle, the stuff stored pushes on the hatch and allows water to pour into the hull. I know both of mine take on water when it rains because of the poor waterproofing around the hatches.